Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Time Team Sunday 11th February 2007

Alan Tucker

This programme investigated the Napoleonic Redoubt built at the camp which of course has Great War associations. The 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment were based there when war broke out and Canadians used it from 1915-1918.

I'm a TT regular, but was annoyed this week that they seem hell-bent on the Napoleonic period, and almost ignored more recent (e.g. WW2) finds. There must be records, photos, even people who remember what was there in WW2 and before? I would have thougt they would have given us a history going back in time eventually arriving at the Napoleonic wars. A bit like peeling an onion rather than just getting straight to the core!

Forum member Martin Brown was the guest expert on this one .. wonder if he had a chance to 'plug' for a 'Time Team in the Trenches' excavation .. or maybe even a special?

Over to you Monsieur Brown .. what's the crack? If any!

Des

I am damned annoyed I missed this one as I knew it was coming, esp as I live within 2 miles of the site. Any pointers as to when it will be repeated will be appreciated!

I am damned annoyed I missed this one as I knew it was coming, esp as I live within 2 miles of the site. Any pointers as to when it will be repeated will be appreciated!

2.35 pm.Sat 17th Feb 2007 on More 4

I'm a TT regular, but was annoyed this week that they seem hell-bent on the Napoleonic period, and almost ignored more recent (e.g. WW2) finds. There must be records, photos, even people who remember what was there in WW2 and before? I would have thougt they would have given us a history going back in time eventually arriving at the Napoleonic wars. A bit like peeling an onion rather than just getting straight to the core!

You are obviously not a Time Team regular. The brief was Napoleonic - anything else was incidental. This was not battlefield archaeology per se.

I have to say (and this is no reflection on Martin Brown) that this one must rank as one of the most boring episodes ever.... maybe not for die-hard archy types but certainly from the moderately interested perspective of the armchair viewer.

Des

The brief was Napoleonic - anything else was incidental.

I agree that that was their focus, but I just wonder whether there might be records from when the WW2 fortifications were built which might have given information on what was there in 1939 which in turn might have given clues as to what was there before etc.... A bit like digging for a roman villa and not paying attention to the (remains of the) Tudor mansion on top and the (remains of ) the Victorian villa on top of that - and what they might tell us.

I'm also a regular viewer of TT But I found the claim made by Tony Robinson at the end that this was the birthplace of the modern British Army a little difficult to swallow!

OK, I can understand your concern but

where is the birthplace of the modern British Army

I would say it has to be dated to the replacement of numbers with territorial titles - i.e. the birth of the county regiment system.

Who was the reformer behind this???

I would argue that this change in nomenclature marked the final break between the 'old' army with its regiments named after their Colonels etc and the beginnings of the 'modern British army' - as such the place you would be looking for would be in some office in Horseguards/Whitehall?

Alan - many thanks

Charles