Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant Bennet Burleigh, 7th Lancashire Fusiliers

Moriaty

I have just noticed the name of Lieutenant Bennet Burleigh on a war memorial outside a local church, Holy Trinity on Clapham Common, London

I looked him up on the CWGC and see he died on 15 July 1915 and is buried in the Lancashire Landing Cemetery in Gallipoli.

He is referred to in the Illustrated London News on 25 September 1915 and appears to have two records in the National Archives WO372/3 and WO 372/24.

CWGC gives no age or details of his family.

However, also on the same memorial at Holy Trinity, Clapham and on CWGC is a James Emil Burleigh who was killed on 12 October 1917, having served in the 14th London and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He was a private, temporary second lieutenant and second lieutenant. On his death he was 21 and his parents were given as Bennet Burleigh (War correspondent) and Bertha Bennet Burleigh of 19 Ely Mansions, West Kensington.

I thought that may be Lieutenant Bennet Burleigh was James' father, but a further Google revealed that Bennet Burleigh (who was James' father) had died in 1914 and had an interesting career, having fought in the American Civil War and been the Daily Telegraph war correspondent reporting from Japan, Sudan and the Boer war.

So back to my original question, does anyone know who Lieutenant Bennet Burleigh, who died in Gallipoli and is commemorated in Clapham, is?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. I am going to Gallipoli later this year and so would like to know a bit more about Lieut Bennet Burleigh.

Moriaty

"Your" Bennet appears to be James' elder half-brother, both sons of Bennet senior.

1901 census, living at 95 North Side, Clapham Common:

Bennet Burleigh, War correspondent (crossed out. "Means author" overwritten), age "not known" (crossed out. "35" written over, but he must have been about 60 as he was born 1840!), b. Glasgow

Wife: Bertha, journalist/author, age 29 (his 2nd wife!), b. Warsaw, Poland

Beatrice, age 15, b. Brixton

Bertha, age 9

Robert, age 8

Bennet, age 7

James, age 4

Bertie, age 3

(last 5 born Clapham)

+ 1 servant

BMD confirms Burleigh Bennet (Snr) married Bertha Preuss in Wandsworth RG in Q3 1898.

Going back 10 years:

1891 census, living at 31 Orlands Rd, Clapham:

BURLEIGH, Bennett [sic], age 49, Journalist, b. Scotland

BURLEIGH, Marion, age 41, b. Leeds

BURLEIGH, Sherer, age 14, Scholar, b. New York, USA

BURLEIGH, Maria Alice, age 10, b. Loughborough Junction, London

BURLEIGH, Beatrice Susan, age 5, b. Brixton

+ 1 servant

Marion Elizabeth Burleigh died Wandsworth Q2 1895, age 43, so James and Bertie were Bertha's kids, although Bennet Snr and Bertha may not have been married at the time!

Curious thing is that I can't find BMD entries for any of the last 5 children (including Bennet Jr and James)!

Regards,

Adrian

From the Times 23-7-1915

post-6536-1171229361.jpg

Steve.

Thanks for the speedy and informative responses.

What seemed strange is that on Bennet Jr's CWGC entry has no mention of either his age or his next of kin, while his brother's entry has both tho it doesnt mention that the Bennet Senior had died prior to both Bennet Jr and James Emil.

Moriaty

The other children may have been born outside of England:

Who's Who for Bennet Burleigh Snr.

BURLEIGH, Bennet (d. Glasgow, 17 June 1914)

War Correspondent, on the staff of the Daily Telegraph from 1882;

born Glasgow; married; five sons three daughters. Work: Fought in American War (twice sentenced to death); Central News Correspondent throughout first Egyptian War (present at Tel-el-Kebir); Second Phase for Daily Telegraph battles El Teb, Tamai, etc.; Correspondent French Campaign in Madagascar; as Daily Telegraph Correspondent accompanied desert column from Korti to Metammah, 1884 (present at Abu Klea, Abu Kru, despatches); Ashanti Expedition; Spanish Riff Campaign, Melila; Greek War; Atbara Expedition; Egyptian War (present at Omdurman); South Africa War, 1899-1902; Somaliland War; Russo-Japanese War; Tripoli Italian Campaign. Publications: Two Campaigns; Empire of the East, etc., 1905. Address: 4 Victoria Road, Clapham Common, London SW.

Possibly Bennet Jnrs. Service File at the NA:

WO 374/10949 BURLEIGH, Lieut B 1914-1922

The latter date will refer to correspondence, not his year of death.

Steve.

An interesting family!

A third brother, Robert, also died:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=180358

Sherer, the eldest brother, was living in the US in 1912, managing the family-owned timber mill in Dermott, Arkansas. He died in 1949 and is buried in Dermott City Cemetery.

The youngest, Bertie, later became a Wing Commander in the RAF and died circa 1965. His son Michael Burleigh is the author of "The Third Reich: A New History".

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, as you say, an interesting family. I will have to go and have another look at the Holy Trinity, Clapham War memorial and see if tje three brothers are commemorated.

I still wonder why Bennet has no mention of his parents on his CWGC entry, also I wonder why the father's name Bennet was bestowed on the third son rather than the eldest son (as normally happens)

Moriaty

PS Judging from the various addresses and different places where the children were born, it looks as if they did a lot of moving!

This evening I had a little Burleigh walk in Clapham

I re-checked the memorial at Holy Trinity Clapham but only Bennet (spelt Bennett) and James are listed, however, just round the corner of the church was a commemorative plaque to the Old Manorians (local school of the time) and Bennet, James and Robert Burleigh are commemorated.

I then went an had a look at 95 Clapham Common Northside where they lived in 1901 - a substantial 3 storey town house overlooking the common; 4 Victoria Road their 1905 address - now known as Victoria Rise, it is just round the corner from Northside (no 4 has gone and in its place is a 1960s building); then on to 31 Orlando Road where they lived in 1891, another 3 storey house, closer to Holy Trinity and a short walk from the common and where the boys went to school.

At least, I now feel that I am on acquiantance terms with the Burleigh family!

Moriaty

A bit more info on my quest to find out about Lieut Bennet Burleigh of the 7th Lancashire Fusiliers, the Gallipoli guide written by Phil Taylor and Pam Cupper mentions him in the section on Lancashire Landing Cemetery:

"Lieutenant Bennett (sic) Burleigh, 1/7th Lancashire Fusiliers (grave A50) led several daring reconnaissances and trench raids at the Vineyard after the third battle of Krithia. One raid on a snipers' nest was made at noon so the Turks literally were caught napping. He died of wounds on 15 July 1915."

Moriaty

An update on Bennet Burleigh, I have just got a marvellous book "Hell let loose", the 1/7th (Salford) Territorial Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers 1914-1915 by Neil Drum and Roger Dowson (£6.25 published by Neil Richardson and which I got, very speedily, from the M & LFHS in Manchester).

The book gives a very detailed account of the 7th Lancashire Fusiliers from August 1914 to the evacuation from Gallipoli, with photographs and biographies of the soldiers, plus maps.

There are three identified photographs of Bennet, I have also learnt that he was mentioned in dispatches.

Bennet was wounded on Wednesday 14 July "the battalion disembarked at Gallipoli and arrived at its dugouts at 4am. At 5pm they relieved the 8th Manchesters in the support line astride the Krithia Nullah. Lieut Burleigh and seven men were wounded...".

On Thursday 15th July "Lt Bennett Burleigh aged 21 died of his wounds and was buried at Lancashire Landing Cemetery. He was on the staff of the Daily Mail in Manchester and was a member of the Manchester Press Club. He was the son of a former Daily Telegraph war correspondent and was educted at the City of London School."

Moriaty

Nice to see the books are getting read and pleased that they are providing useful resources, thanks - it makes it all worthwhile....

Rodge (Dowson)

Hello Rodge, I am looking forward to having a good read of "Hell let loose" and will be visiting Bennet Burleigh's grave when I go to Gallipoli in a couple of months.

Incidentally, Steve has just posted another picture of Bennet in the Illustrated London News file.

Finally, I think the spelling of his first name is Bennet with one T rather than two. Certainly that is how his father (a very interesting character) spelt his first name.

Moriaty.

Enjoy the trip - I have not been there as yet but missed out on going with Martin Middlebrook there one year for various reasons - moving house mainly - Thanks Rodge. PS have you got any of the other books I have done or helped out on by the same publisher?

Rodge, I'll report back when I've been to Gallipoli, no, I havent got any of your other books as my interest in the Lancashire Fusiliers was only recently triggered by the Clapham/Gallipoli connection and my main interest has been the Western Front battles of 1915.

Moriaty

Pam

Thank you so much for the emailed photo and obits of Robert Burleigh - he looks very like the picture of his brother Bennet in the book "Hell let loose" the story of the 7th Lancashire Fusiliers.

Moriaty

Thanks Adrian, as you say, an interesting family. I will have to go and have another look at the Holy Trinity, Clapham War memorial and see if tje three brothers are commemorated.

I still wonder why Bennet has no mention of his parents on his CWGC entry, also I wonder why the father's name Bennet was bestowed on the third son rather than the eldest son (as normally happens)

Moriaty

PS Judging from the various addresses and different places where the children were born, it looks as if they did a lot of moving!

Bennet Burleigh war correspondant was originally named Burley, changed the name after escaped from usa, eldest son is robert who is named after bb seniors father a master mechanic from glasgow, "eldest daughter" is marion, named after first wife, born in glasgow, the families appeared to have little contact after firsts wifes death. three younger sons died in ww1, the youngest is beatrice, bertha bennet burleigh artist and author of circus sat on the war graves commision, family now spread out worldwide.

Thanks Graeden for this additional information, the Burleigh/Burley family is fascinating. The encyclopaedia of Arkansas says that "the Burleigh family of Scotland owned a handle mill, managed locally by Sherer Burleigh" who married Martha Creshaw Burleigh who died aged 92 in 1970.

Where did you find out about the Burley name change??

Moriaty

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Graeden for this additional information, the Burleigh/Burley family is fascinating. The encyclopaedia of Arkansas says that "the Burleigh family of Scotland owned a handle mill, managed locally by Sherer Burleigh" who married Martha Creshaw Burleigh who died aged 92 in 1970.

Where did you find out about the Burley name change??

Moriaty

there is a lot written on bennet burley in the american civil war, most of it quite obscure, you could search out the philo parsons affair, or john yeats beall. i just now this as i am related to bb

there is a lot written on bennet burley in the american civil war, most of it quite obscure, you could search out the philo parsons affair, or john yeats beall. i just now this as i am related to bb

found something else

Unfortunately, Berthas three brothers Bennett (Gallipoli) Robert (Thiepval) and Jimmie (Ypres) were all officers who died during World War One. The younger brother Bertie survived WW1 and became a Wing Commander in WW11, winning the military cross.

• 9 months later...

Free BMD has caught up with Bertie Burleigh. It gives his birth for Sep 1897, registered in E Preston district, which ties in with 1901 census Littlehampton as his birth place.

Can anyone help with the date of the marriage of Bennet and Marion?

Best wishes,

David

David, it appears that Marion and Bennet married in New York (I cant currently track where I found that out) and their son Sherer was born c1877 in New York, so presumably the marriage was pre 1877.

What is your interesting in the Burleigh family??

Moriaty

PS Bertie the youngest son of the second marriage is sometimes referred to George (Bertie) Bennet (or Bennett) Burleigh. I think he served as a Corporal in the Great War and was injured in September 1916.

Bennet Jr. appears on the Associated Newspapers Roll of Honour and I am working through that at present. The Burleigh family is certainly a complicated affair, and Bennet Snr. a wide-ranging newspaper man.

With best wishes,

David

Bennet Jr is commemorated on the very nice Associated Newspapers memorial in the crypt of St Brides, Fleet Street.

I'd be very interested to hear of anything you find out about Bennet Jr, perhaps you would PM me if you come across any info

Best wishes

Moriaty

• 6 years later...

Hello Moriaty

Like you I'm interested in this chap. But, I came to him from the standpoint of Jersey, having initially seen a Jersey Gazette entry noting that he had been a former employee of Jersey's Morning News newspaper. This was subsequently featured in the MN itself. This employment was clearly after he left the City of London School before he went to the Daily Mail in Manchester (and hence the LF TF). Do you have any research you might share that might cover that time in the Island? FYI, I have 'Hell Let Loose' and Graeden's book on BB Senior.

Kind Regards

Barrie