Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gunners qualification badge

Andrew Upton

Picked up the following Lewis Gunners trade badge for £2 at my local military dealers, just wondering if anyone had any idea of it's date, whether WW1, WW2 or ???

Thanks in advance.

post-2039-1171157240.jpg

And the reverse:

post-2039-1171157366.jpg

Its a 'skill at arms' badge, not trade. Probably intro. before AO 80/1917, where it is authorised. In 1921 became 'light [machine] gun badge, because Hotchkiss [HG] badge obsolete. New pattern sealed 30 Mar 1925, obsolete 6 Nov 1929.

Now your question: I think post Great War but pre. WWII .... not at all sure this badge was worn by Bren Gunners in WW II but some mystery over 'LMG' .... it existed but no authority for it traced.

Its a 'skill at arms' badge, not trade. Probably intro. before AO 80/1917, where it is authorised. In 1921 became 'light [machine] gun badge, because Hotchkiss [HG] badge obsolete. New pattern sealed 30 Mar 1925, obsolete 6 Nov 1929.

Now your question: I think post Great War but pre. WWII .... not at all sure this badge was worn by Bren Gunners in WW II but some mystery over 'LMG' .... it existed but no authority for it traced.

Thanks Grumpy!

I'll add a dissenting voice.. but I think it is 1950s on - Brigade of Guards 'Light machine gunner'. The greys and browns make me think this.

I'll add a dissenting voice.. but I think it is 1950s on - Brigade of Guards 'Light machine gunner'. The greys and browns make me think this.

Interesting, any photo's or ? to back up this suggestion?

:D

Andy..........

yup, it's a Brigade of Guards one!

tim

You have my undivided attention ....... are we saying Guards have/had different materials for service dress badges ........ if so, please can the team post a few for me?

Yes they do. They never adopted the '1960 pattern' smaller oval badges. At work so no photos readily at hand. They look more 'subdued' than normal army badges as they do not use white thread. They are also bigger - more like the original battledress badges. The Sniper badge is markedly different from the rest of the Army.

If this turns out to be true - bother, I was hoping this would be good for WW1!

Anyone want to buy a Brigade of Guards LG badge? :rolleyes:

If this turns out to be true - bother, I was hoping this would be good for WW1!

Anyone want to buy a Brigade of Guards LG badge? :rolleyes:

Go to this link - and there are the official British Army trade badge posters from the 1980s. Not good scans, but show the badges as 'Household Division'

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/trade3.htm

I've also attached a scan of the Mortarman badge in closer detail.

post-573-1171366919.jpg

Go to this link - and there are the official British Army trade badge posters from the 1980s. Not good scans, but show the badges as 'Household Division'

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/trade3.htm

I've also attached a scan of the Mortarman badge in closer detail.

Double bother, clicked on the second poster, clear as a bell was my badge, it appears to be quite an early example, but still not WW1! Thanks again.