Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary

robwilliams

All,

I have transcribed the whole of the war diary of this unit, although I have not done it word for word.

I also have bits of 143 Bde, 48 Div, as well as some of 75 Bde and 25 Div for late 1918.

Connected to this I also have details of all men court-martialled in the Royal Warwickshire and Gloucestershire Regiments.

Rob

• 9 months later...

Hi Rob

I am not sure if it was yourself I exchanged email with a few months back via the Birm Pals forum? anyway I would love to know if your info on the diary for the 8th Warwicks contains any mention of my Grandfather Cpl Cecil Herrick who won the DCM in France I believe 1st January 1917. Desperate to find out about him the events behind the DCM. Can you help?

Richard Keery

• 2 months later...

Richard,

Cpl 1437/305245 Herrick. Landed F&F 22.3.15. Discharged 8.3.17. In Bham Daily Post 2.11.15 as wounded (probably happened end Sept 15). Details from my database. I will search through the war diary in the near future and get back to you.

Rob

Richard,

Upon looking at my database again I noticed the Gazette date was very different from what you believed. Here is the citation:

"LG: 11.3.16 DCM "For conspicuous gallantry and good work on many occasions on patrols. Cpl Herrick invariably displayed coolness and courage in the performance of his duties. He has recently been wounded."

Rob

PS Do you have a photo?

Rob, do I presume you transcribed the copy held at the Royal Warwicks museum? I had a look at the PRO copy last week when looking at the death of one Charles Longland. July 1916 was missing. If you transcribed from the PRO copy and July was still there at that time, it looks like it has, shall we say, been removed.

I transcribed it from the PRO. Did it back in 1997/8. I have to confess that I did not do it word for word, due to repetition, however the bulk is still there. I have on computer and hard copy.

Rob

• 1 year later...
Richard,

Upon looking at my database again I noticed the Gazette date was very different from what you believed. Here is the citation:

"LG: 11.3.16 DCM "For conspicuous gallantry and good work on many occasions on patrols. Cpl Herrick invariably displayed coolness and courage in the performance of his duties. He has recently been wounded."

Rob

PS Do you have a photo?

Hi Rob

You kindly provided some information for me a year or two ago on this forum re my Herrick relatives. I am finishing off my family history research and was going back over these posts when I noticed on this last one from you you ask if I have a photo, does that mean you have one? We have basically one for each brother all the families photos were lost in WW11 during Coventry Blitz and if we could find just one somewhere its would be fantastic! In addition I was going to go to Kew especially to look at the war diaries for the 8th and 14th batts on the off chance either brother was mentioned re the DCM for Cecil or the death of Henry but I see its possible July 1916 when harry died is missing, can you advise. Thanks gain for all your help

Richard