Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

French Navy casualties

kin47

Hello

I am looking for lists of French naval casualties giving the names of the casualties.

Is there such a thing as CWGC for France?

Any help in pointing me in a direction for WW I and WW II deaths would be most appreciated.

All best

don

Hello Terry

Thanks for the information. However, checking, it appears only Army casualties are covered.

It is definitely a good website.

All best

don

Thanks for the information. However, checking, it appears only Army casualties are covered.

How do you come to that conclusion? The opening spiel says that it contains details of 1.3 million 'militaires' (service personnel) accorded the accolade 'Mort pour la France'. I don't have the name of a French naval casualty to search, but can't see why, in principle, naval casualties would not be covered.

Mick

The site actually states....

"This database gives access to information about more than 1.3 million soldiers who died during World War I and obtained the special distinction " killed in action " (in French " Mort pour la France ")."

This is their English translation.

'Mort pour la France' means more than just 'killed in action':

Ont droit à cette distinction, les membres des forces armées françaises tués au combat ou morts des suites de maladies contractées ou d'accidents survenus en service commandé au cours de la Première et de la Seconde Guerre mondiale ....

And 'militaires' means more than just 'soldiers'.

Does a French marine count as Navy? Here, from 'Mémoire des Hommes' is the record of a Fusilier Marin killed at Dixmude in 1914:

post-11021-1171188809.jpg

Of course it does but the above is the translation given by the French government on the site itself if you click on the Union Flag for the English version!

Hello

My apologies to all. I took the word "soldiers" a bit too literally. I did some digging and found a French officer killed in the Med and he does appear.

Thank you Terry. This will be enormously helpful.

All best

don

Of course it does but the above is the translation given by the French government on the site itself if you click on the Union Flag for the English version!

Having worked for nearly 30 years in a British government translation service, I'm afraid I have a somewhat jaundiced opinion of French official translations into English. :D

Does a French marine count as Navy? Here, from 'Mémoire des Hommes' is the record of a Fusilier Marin killed at Dixmude in 1914:

I was waiting for that one.

The French site covers everyone who died during the war. It has soldiers, sailors and airmen; and civilians who were shot by the Germans. Unfortunately, the only way o interrogate it is by surname - but a bi of imagination will take you a long way. I've found quite a lot of men whose birth place I was interested in by juggling with an alphabetical search.

As it is normal for translators to translate into their native language and not out of it, it is not uncommon to find some awful translations not just by French translators into English but also English translators into French.

Then you have to factor in the people in all walks of life who think that because they passed 'O' Level French or whatever in 1947 they are fully qualified to translate Mandarin into Bulgarian.

Some of the things I have seen would make you scream with rage (having spent the last 33 years reading translations).

And, of course, you get official translators who arrived in the job because they went to university and became a teacher, couldn't cope and so became a translator. Unfortunately, they went to the university of lower bogsend road, and never learnt any English grammar or vocabulary and can't write a coherent sentence in any language.

Believe me, the things I have seen.