Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone with access to SDGW?

Neil Mackenzie

I am trying to identify men from the 1/1 Herefordshires and 1/1 Cambridgeshires who were killed in the Ypres or Messines area.

I don't need to know every man who fell just a sample. For the Herefordshires in particular there may not be many men anyway as I think they lost heavily at Gallipoli and were involved in the Salient only in 1918.

Many thanks as always.

Neil

Neil

741 other ranks of the 1st Cambridgeshires are listed as losing their lives on the Western Front between 1915 & 1918. (SDGW gives the general Theatre of War as 'France & Flanders' - not specfic as to location)

71 O.R.s of the 1/1 Herefordshires lost their lives on the Western Front, all in 1918. July & August seem to record the most losses (July 23rd in particular). If you know where they were at this time, I'll post a few examples.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nick.

Thanks for looking. I think the 23 July will be Battle of Soisonnais so in France rather than Belgium. They should have been in Ypres area from mid August to mid September, so if you have any for that time period I would be interested.

The Cambridgeshires were in 39 Division so if you have any for 31 July-2nd August or 16-18 August then these should also be Ieper area.

Many thanks.

Neil

Neil

None for the Cambridgeshires between July 31st & August 2nd, 1918. One for Aug. 16th-18th:

Pte. William Sparham (240980), enlisted Bury St. Edmunds, Killed in action 17/08/18 (formerly 3326 Suffolk Regt.)

8 O.R.s for the Herefordshires between Aug. 15th & Sept. 15th, 1918. Two examples:

L/Cpl. Francis Andrews (236681), born & enlisted Monmouth; residence Langrove, Ross, Hereford.

Died of wounds 10/09/18

Pte. George Langford (236304), b & en. Leominster; res. Kimbolton, Leominster. Killed in action 4/09/18

Nick

Hi Neil

Here are a few who were K.S.L.I. but attached to Herefords

21398 Pte. Jones, Thomas, Resided Stanton, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury. 1/K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 04/09/18. Buried in WYTSCHAETE Military Cemetery - Heuvelland, West-Vlaanderen (III. A. 12). Info. from Victory/British War Medal Rolls, C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

29637 Pte. Jones, James, Born Barry, Enlisted Bristol. 10/K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1 Herefords. K. in A. 04/09/18. Formerly 51446 Glos. Regt. Age 20. Son of Charles and Mary Ann Jones, of 52, Sandbed Rd., Mina Rd., Bristol. His name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

29635 Pte. Jackman, Albert, Born Ashton Gate, Bristol. Enlisted Newport, Mon. 10/K.S.L.I. attached to 1/1 Herefords. K. in A. 04/09/18 Formerly 51439 Glos. Regt. Age 32. Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Jackman. His name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial. His name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

33705 Pte. Fox, William, Born Birkenhead, Ches. Enlisted Birkenhead, Ches. 10/K.S.L.I. att. to 1/1/Herefords. K. in A. 04/09/18 aged 24, Son of Michael Fox, of 315, Brook St., Birkenhead, and the late Mary Fox. His name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Info. from C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

There are a few more if you want them.

Annette

Nick and Annette.

Many thanks for your replies - they have been very useful.

I am doing a trip in May with a friend to visit all the cemeteries in the Ypres area in just over a week. We want to visit the grave of at least one man in each cemetery/memorial and I am trying to ensure we also cover each of the British Regimanets as listed on Chris' main site. The Herefordshires and Cambridgeshires were the only ones I didn't have any names for.

Nick - I stupidly forgot to add that the dates I gave for the Cambridgeshires were 1917 dates and not 1918! Do you have anything for them for 31/7/17-2/8/17 and 16/8/17-18/8/17? In 1918 they were on the Somme.

Thanks again.

Neil