Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eton College

freddy1918

2 hours ago, MissMia81 said:

Given the date on this post I know this is a LONG shot, but I was hoping that perhaps a reply was made directly or if there has been any update on this search as I am researching my great great grandfather Octavius Sidney Darby Griffith. Many thanks! 

@MissMia81, firstly welcome to the forum.

Secondly, have you thought about purchasing copies of the 9th Loyals War Diary, as he is mentioned within it, being the officer commanding from 15/05/1918 to 27/05/1918 when he was killed in action/died of wounds. It is available here, for £3.50, and instantly downloadable.

Also at the National Archives, which you would have to visit, or organise a researcher to make copies for you, should be his file. This file may contain a large amount of information or none, but is worth a try.

Mark

On 04/04/2018 at 03:45, MissMia81 said:

Given the date on this post I know this is a LONG shot, but I was hoping that perhaps a reply was made directly or if there has been any update on this search as I am researching my great great grandfather Octavius Sidney Darby Griffith. Many thanks! 

Hello Missmia81, I've sent you a pm which you may wish to check. Regards David 

I have just sent a PM to Freddy, having just spotted this thread. I am interested in two old Etonians who served as chaplains during the war.

One possible old Etonian  was Rev Frederick Archibald Gresham Leveson-Gower, who served during the war as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces.

The other definitely an old Etonian  was Rev Arthur Percival Hill. The "List of Etonians who Fought in the great war"  indicates that the latter was wounded.

I would be delighted to learn more about either.

I do have the Crockford's entries for 1923.

EDIT - This Leveson-Gower attended Winchester School.

Keith