Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eton College

freddy1918

I would appreciate any information that you may have on Percy Archer Clive DSO, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. who died 04/04/1918 and also his son Lewis Clive who was killed while fighting with the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War.

Myrtle

Freddy,

If you need the court of Inquiry findings and witness reports I have them all.

Andy

post-1871-1181340598.jpg

Freddy,

Captain Backus N.O.K. is given as Mrs. Backus (Mother), 57 Victoria Road, Kensington, London W.

Court of Inquiry.

Captain Backus left his battalion at 7.20 p.m. to dine with a neighbouring battalion. He left after dinner at about 11.30 p.m. and should have been back with his battalion by about 11.45. He was found lying face down unconscious on the road at about 2 a.m. by a gunner returning to his battery with a horse and cart. The bicycle was found in a ditch alongside the road. He was attended by Captain R.N. Hunter, R.A.M.C., the Medical Officer of the 8th Rifle Brigade.

In spite of all possible efforts Captain Backus died at about 2.45 a.m., the body was sent to the 42nd Field Ambulance and thence to No.2 Australian CCS for a postmortem examination.

Findings.

Captain Backus's death was caused by a collision with the rear of a motor vehicle and that the darkness of the night and absence of lights contributed towards the accident.

Post Mortem results.

Multiple external abrasion and Ecchyoses

Comminuted fracture of the pevis

Retroperitoneal haemorhage

Laceration of the right kidney.

Andy

From The Eton College Chronicle, 18 Oct 1917:

Captain Arthur Ronald Backus, MC, Rifle Brigade

Ronnie Backus left Mr. Hawtrey's school for Eton after the summer of 1907. "He came out surprisingly well as cox of the House Four in 1908"; as bow, in 1912, he helped win the race in record time: as bow, in 1912, he helped win the race in record time: in 1913 he was second in the steeplechase, stroked his Tutor's in th final of the House Fours, and was first choice in the VIII. At the end of the first year his report said that "He promises excellently": later ocmes, "He should be a pillar of strength," and the last word written of him at Eton were, "He has worked well and done his best for the House. Excellent." He spent one happy and successful year at Trinity, Cambridge, and then came the War. A South-American by birth, he decided at once to be naturalised., and England and Eton have had good reason to be proud of him. "He went to the front in May, 1915, was twice wounded, and was awarded the M. C. in December 1915."

He was never really strong, in spite of his prowess as an oar and a runner: his spirit carried him through at Eton and in the trenches. Perhaps consideration for others was his special characteristic. "He has taken no end of trouble about the other wet-bobs" was written of him in 1913, and a master who coachd him in the previous year for the Pulling remembers well that Ronnie said to him, speaking for himself and his partner, after a race which they were rather unlucky to lose, "We mind most that you should have taken so much trouble with us, all for nothing."

A letter from his orderly, quoted in the Times, contains these words: "I had been his servant for 33 months, and I could not feel the loss so much if it had been my brother: he was so brave and good."

From the Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919:

Captain Arthur Ronald Bacckus, MC of 57 Victoria Rd., Kennsington, W. Son of J. B. of Lima, Peru, S. America; 1907-1913; Eton VIII, 1913; Trinity Coll., Cambridge; served as Capt., 8th Service Bn., Rifle Brigade in France in the war of 1914-1917 (MC); unmarried; killed accidentally on active service, Sept 23, 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thanks for that bit from the Eton Chronicles.

Andy

Myrtle,

Sorry I had not answered your query yet. I'm going to wait until I go up to the school on tuesday where I have a couple of places I want to look up the info on Lewis for you before I get back to with the info, I hadn't forgotten.

Re: Photos of Etonians I started a members photo gallery for them; I think I put five up to start with but will carry on adding to it when I get the time if people are interested. I haven't confined it to those that were killed, as I have a fair number of photos of survivors too...

Freddy

Sorry I had not answered your query yet. I'm going to wait until I go up to the school on tuesday where I have a couple of places I want to look up the info on Lewis for you before I get back to with the info, I hadn't forgotten.

Thank you Freddy. I look forward to finding out what you discover.

Regards

Myrtle

• 3 weeks later...

Freddy & Dick,

One more for you. Do you have anything on Captain Hon. Alfred Aubrey Tennyson, 9th Rifle Brigade, Killed in Action on 22nd March 1918. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. 2nd son of Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson.

Thanks.

Andy

Freddy & Dick,

One more for you. Do you have anything on Captain Hon. Alfred Aubrey Tennyson, 9th Rifle Brigade, Killed in Action on 22nd March 1918. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. 2nd son of Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson.

Thanks.

Andy

Have got him at Eton from Sep 1892 to Jul 1897 apparently... let me do a bit more digging for you tomorrow...

Thanks Freddy,

He had two brothers, younger in the R.N. (Sub-Lt Hon. Harold C. Tennyson) killed in action in January 1916, and his elder brother Lord Hallam Tennyson who was also in the Rifle Brigade and survived. His book "From Verse to Worse" gives some references to Alfred Aubrey and some good stuff on the 1st RB but I just wondered if you had anymore.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Freddy

You kindly said that you would have a look for information regarding Percy Archer Clive and his son Lewis at the Eton archive. Just wondered if you found anything on your last visit.

Myrtle

• 6 months later...

Freddy

Not sure if your still doing look ups.

But if you are and have time....anything on this chap would be appreciated.

Name: FRERE, BARTLETT LAURIE STUART

Initials: B L S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Bedfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/11/1916

Awards: Mentioned in Despatches

Additional information: Son of Laurie and Maud Mary Newton Frere, of Twyford House, Bishop's Stortford, Herts. Educated at Eton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 35.

Cemetery: KNIGHTSBRIDGE CEMETERY, MESNIL-MARTINSART

Cheers

Glyn

Glyn

I haven't got the chronicle but a copy of the roll which says that he left the school in 1914 was mentioned in despatches and was in R.S.Kindersley's house while he was there

It's somthing at least

Hambo

Hi Glyn,

According to the school register he was the only son. He arrived at Eton in Setember 1909 and left at the outbreak of war (Looking at his date of birth that could have been to go off to war - it looks to be a year early by normal standards) He was a talented footballer (at the Wall). According to the contemporary who scribbled all over my register he rowed too, his boat was the Alexandra and played Rugby too. He has his dat eof brth as 14.3.1896 but I can't vouch for the accuracy of those last bits.

If I have a photograph of him I haven't catalogued it yet. I'll ost it here when I do or mail it over for you if he's of interest. I hope to take my first trip up to the school for a few months soon so when I do I can check the EC Chronicle to see if he got an obituary.

Alex

Apologies for the slow response.

John, thanks for that info

Alex, excellent. Really appreciate your assistance. Would love a pic if you've got one. Its an ongoing project so no rush. I'll remind you at a later date if thats ok :D

Thanks

Glyn

Hi Jemma, Thanks for the offer. I see that you are being kept very busy. I would be grateful of anything on James Malcolm Lees. 1st Batt North Staffs Regiment. Left Eton in 1914 and was killed 22-8-1916. Sue S

Hi Sue,

I have James Malcom as the eldest son of a Colonel Roderick Livingstone Lees DSO, MBE, of Stanfield, Upperwick, Worcs. He arrived at Eton in September in 1910 and left at the outbreak of war and was in Mr Hill's house for the duration. Although it looks like he may have left a year early, rather than go straight into the army, he went on to Sandhurst before joining the N Staffs.

James' father Roderick was a Lt-Col as well as also being an OE (1878-1883, Arthur Cockshott's house) He was in the Lancashire Fusiliers, attached to the Manchester and Suffolk Regiments at points and survived the war. He was awarded the DSO at Gallipoli "for conspicuous gallantry and determination during an attack near Krithia... on Aug 8th 1915. He commanded the defence of a position against heavy odds with great skill and tenacity, and showed absolute disregard of personal danger in leading and encouraging his men."

I'll have a look for an obit in the school magazine next time I am there, but you tend not to have luck with the ones that died during school holidays, as obviously production halted; especially those that died during the summer break. Again, if I have a photo it isn't catalogued yet, but as soon as one comes up I'll post it here.

Alex

Sue,

Yes! I wondered why Lees' name rang a bell ;):D

Stiletto: Did I send you a photo of A. R. Backus while a member of the Eton Rowing VIII in 1913. If not PM me and I will send it to you. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Yes you did send me the picture of A.R. Backus in the Eton VIII, much aprreciated as always.

Andy

• 3 years later...

Roll of honour and about 20 other publications with other details and mentions of old Eton boys who served in the Great War, fair bit on those who served in WW2 too, so if anybody needs anything....

Jemma

Jemma/Freddy, If you're still willing, do you have an extract about the Brocklehurst brothers please - Sir Philip Lee Brocklehurst and Henry Courtney Brocklehurst. They were both there in 1901. I believe Philip was only there 1900-1902 and his brother from 1901-1905 but would appreciate it if you could confirm that. Any pictures very welcome too.

Many thanks.

Alan

• 7 years later...
On 21/02/2007 at 08:59, David_Blanchard said:

Hi,

Could you see if you have any information, possibly photograph of:

DARBY-GRIFFITH, OCTAVIUS SIDNEY (11th Loyal North Lancs KIA 27 May 1918)

Regards

David

Given the date on this post I know this is a LONG shot, but I was hoping that perhaps a reply was made directly or if there has been any update on this search as I am researching my great great grandfather Octavius Sidney Darby Griffith. Many thanks!