Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Enlistmet Details

Beau Geste

I have been sent a Handy Hints sheet by the South Lancashire Regiment Museum in Preston that informs me that the "National Archives...hold enlistment details, home addresses etc of all serving personnel prior to 1920" I've never heard of this before. If true, this will help people like myself who have an MIC of a soldier who they believe (but cannot prove) is a relative of theirs.

Has anyone come across this before?

Harry

Surely this just refers to the content of the millions of WWI service records held by the National Archives? - and the question being whether your relative's records survived the Luftwaffe bombing which destroyed/ damaged over 50% of them in 1940.

Chris

Surely this just refers to the content of the millions of WWI service records held by the National Archives? - and the question being whether your relative's records survived the Luftwaffe bombing which destroyed/ damaged over 50% of them in 1940.

Chris

I'm afraid that that might be the case Chris but I'm hoping, like a drowning man clutches straws, that there's something more in it. I admit though it does sound too good to be true. I'll let you know one way or the other when I get a reply !

Harry