Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

General Kenneth Anderson

freddy1918

Hello,

I have been researching the first world war service of General Anderson when he was a Lieutenant with the Seaforth Highlanders. Having done the usual searches at the National Archives and quite a way beyond the most detailed account I can find is that he was quite badly injured on the opening day of the Somme. He obviously recovered but does anybody know of any publications or documents - I expect dealing more with world war two - that might shed some more light on events?

Any help greatly appreciated :D

He was at Charterhouse, but on his WW1 service they only say:

"Anderson was educated at Charterhouse School and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst before being commissioned in the Seaforth Highlanders in 1911. His First World War service was in France, where he served with distinction. He was awarded the Military Cross for bravery in action and was wounded at the Battle of the Somme on the opening day, 1 July, 1916. He took eighteen months to recover from the wounds he received, before rejoining his regiment in Palestine in time to celebrate victory."

http://www.omnipelagos.com/entry?n=kenneth...Eoel_%41nderson

You could try contacting the school for more details?

Failing which you could try his obit in some of the broadsheets. This might give more detail on his wounds etc. He died at Gibraltar on 29th April 1959. He died of Pneumonia, which might point to a chest wound in WW1?

Doesn't help you too much, but Rick Atkinson's "The Army at Dawn" features him heavily. At one point it says (I forget to whom it was attributed) "Kenneth Anderson was fluent in four languages. And spoke no sense in any of them."

Another tale is that a key point in the Tunisian Campaign, he disappeared without trace, unfindable. His ADC found him in the local railway station engine shed, gazing at the engines.. he was a train buff, apparently!

Thanks for the responses.

Charterhouse have provided a stack of information, but unfortunately none of it puts the WW1 injury into anymore detail.

I love the quote about the languages!