Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite regiment

Guest Helberg

This has probably been discussed many times before on this forum, but since I'm a newcomer I hope you'll forgive me :P

What regiment is your favorite, and why? Mine is the Coldstream Guards. Ever since I saw them on parade in London in the late 80s they've been my number one, and now I've probably read every book about the regiment that has been written. It's only too bad that I'm not a British citizen; otherwise I would have served in it! :lol:

Hi Helberg

You may be right it probably as been discussed in the past but what the hek.

The King's Shropshire Light Infantry because its my County regiment.

Annette

The Somerset Light Infantry the regiment of my birth county.

Not sure this is allowed but I'm going for a Corps instead of a Regiment.

My favourite is the Royal Army Medical Corps, because I'm in it - well Territorial.

Tim

my favourite is the middlsex as it was one of the regiments that started the great war and my gtgt grandad there with them.

the somersets light infantry as my grandad was with in the second great war.

and the london scottish as i like the kilt :D

KRRC, thanks to my friend DOug Hughes I am an honorary member. He is a Calais survivor, met him and another Rifleman, Andy Adams, deceased, at UJC< London.

In my case, the Royal Canadian Artillery - my own 31 years as a reservist; my father's service 1937-1961,etc.

As a collector, I have never been able to narrow down my interests to one unit. A couple of decades ago, I specialized in the KRRC and Rifle Brigade; later the units of the Punjab Frontier Force. Nowadays, I have two areas of concentration - the BEF 1914, and the CEF 1914-18.

KRRC, thanks to my friend DOug Hughes I am an honorary member. He is a Calais survivor, met him and another Rifleman, Andy Adams, deceased, at UJC< London.

Also KRRC/London Regiment. Family connections.

It's sort of a coincidence that I developed a connection to KRRC, I just liked the name before I met my Riflemen friends and had bought a replica badge, one of only two I ever bought, other 87Bn Canadian Grenadier Guards, Montreal Regiment. Or at least I thought it was, it was Grenadier Guards and that my not be same as Canadian one. Can someone check that? Thanks.

Of course, 'The Wiltshires'.

A massive interest to me, due to it being my local County Regiment as well as having family connections.

Ski :)

The "Swedebashers" - Hampshire Regiment

Born and brought up in the county and now living in the county capital - obvious choice!

Marc

For me its got to be the 10th (Prince Of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars. Surely the very embodiment of 'Regimental Spirit' and known throughout the army as the 'Shiny Tenth' due to their immaculate turn out. My Fathers Regiment.

The "Swedebashers" - Hampshire Regiment

Born and brought up in the county and now living in the county capital  - obvious choice!

Marc

Mr.Thompson, what is the story behind the Hampshire's nickname?

It's hard to get it down to a Regt ... but I'd have to say any of the Guards ... with the Scots taking the lead.

EV01_D01_036_Scots_Guards_Drilling_b__.j

For horse, it would be the 2nd NB Dragoons ...

scotsgrey.jpg

My own commission is in the 2nd Cav (US Army) ... during my era, every commission had a "regt" assigned as a purely ceremonial link to the past. But my most prized possession is a copy of my grandfather's enlistment into the Frontier Battalion of the Texas Rangers ... (one of the reasons there are no (well, two very small ones) Indian Reservations in Texas ...

South Staffordshire Regiment-family connection (see signature) WW2-my Grandad and my local county regiment at the time of WW1 & WW2

Regards Doug

Marc

Mr.Thompson, what is the story behind the Hampshire's nickname?

A less well-known nickname for the Regiment, 'The Swedebashers'.

Two possible sources: may have been due to a Generals remark who called them "A collection of poachers and gamekeepers, but the finest body of men I have ever Commanded." Or it may have been intended as a derogative remark about the agricultural background of many of the men.

Marc