Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Keats Redan

rhodesie

I would be very grateful if some kind soul could help me locate Keats Redan (and the Secret Garden) on the Ovillers 57d S.E.4 Edition 2b Trench Map.

Many thanks

dave

Well Dave, I have to say that this had me beat too :angry:

And then I remembered that I had a copy of a hand-drawn RE Map and bingo - its shown :)

It is the trench system at X 13 c 8 . 8 (at the end of Kirkaddy Street)

post-4619-1171039661.jpg

and here is the 57D SE4 map

I think that it is Kirkaddy Street

post-4619-1171039822.jpg

Hello

I think the Scots might be offended, that's Kirkaldy Street chaps

:lol:

...........and today

Andy

post-10939-1171057698.jpg

I think the Scots might be offended, that's Kirkaldy Street chaps

oh yes - lets hope they didn't spot that :unsure: I won't tell B)

Many thanks to Mike and Andy for their time and effort. Well done chaps and no offence meant to The Ladies from Hell I'm sure.

dave

• 16 years later...

16 years later and here's hoping you are all still well. Today I researching, amongst others, Pvt 8399 George William SEENEY of 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire REg who is one of ten men named on the Bourton & Draycote (near Rugby) War Memorial. He was killed on 2nd July 1916 (2nd day of the battle) while they held the front line from Keats Redan to Argyll Street in readiness for an attack the following morning. George was one of over 41 men killed, wounded, missing or shell shocked from the heavy enemy shelling of their positions.
Using the map position from Mike Lynch of X 13 c 8 . 8 I generated this map from TMapper and added some text. The map is dated 1st Sept 1916

Keats redan.jpg

Edited by ianshuter
Add image

If you put 57d.X.13.c.8.8 into TrenchMapper and click Convert, you will be taken right to the point. In the drop down on the left there is a selection of 278 maps covering the area.

Howard

This sketch showing Keats Redan and other named trenches is in the 09/16 WD of 15 Field Company, 8 Div RE. 

TNA WO 95/1698.

Brian

keats redan.jpg

On 06/03/2023 at 11:47, Howard said:

If you put 57d.X.13.c.8.8 into TrenchMapper and click Convert, you will be taken right to the point. In the drop down on the left there is a selection of 278 maps covering the area.

Howard

Many thanks Howard, I am updating my map with this.

5 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

This sketch showing Keats Redan and other named trenches is in the 09/16 WD of 15 Field Company, 8 Div RE. 

TNA WO 95/1698.

Brian

keats redan.jpg

Many thanks Brian, may I use this map and if so what © notice should I use if any.

Ian

I am not an expert on copyright but there is some guidance in Forum Rules. I always quote the TNA WO 95 reference when posting anything from War Diaries.

Brian