Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st South Staffordshire


Recommended Posts

I have a version on Word. I copied the whole thing out by hand over about 10 trips to the PRO, many years ago. Some of the trivial detail is missing (like repeated entries for training or providing working parties), but all names, events, places etc are intact.

I am turning it into a website at present, but would be happy to provide any specific info that anyone needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...


I've been patiently waiting for this website referred to above, to avoid bothering you directly - for goodness sake man stop being so lazy and get on with it!! :D

Seriously though, any chance of a 'pointer'? I tried to get hold of the 1st South Staffs diary for 31 October - 6 November 1914. During this time a Private Richard Hinton was posted as missing. The following April (1915) a comrade wrote to his wife saying that he had been shot on November 5th 1914. When I last went to the PRO (2 years ago) I couldn't get hold of the diary because some other horrible person was using it!! I reckon it must have been you!!!

Any chance of e-mailing me with the relevant part of the diary from your Word document? Someone once told me that the diary for this period doesn't exist - I hope they're wrong.

All the best,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Andrew

There is no 1st South Staffords war diary for that period, unfortunately. It stops on 26 October 1914. No officer of the battalion was left to write it.

However, the remnant of the battalion was temporarily merged with the remnants of the rest of the Brigade on 31 October. The diary of the 2nd Queen's gives some details from there on.


1 November 1914

The Brigade was formed into two composite battalions:

- the first, under Capt Alleyne, of the remnants of 2 Queen's and 1st RWF

-the second, under Capt Vallentin, of 1st South Staffords and 2nd RW, with Capt Fuller, Lieuts White, Ross and Smith of the 2nd Queens attached.


The 'second' Battalion was sent up to occupy a trench which had been abandoned. Two platoons under Lieuts Smith and White were sent forward and got into the trench, during which Lieut White was hit.

5 Ypres

The Brigade left the woods and billeted in the Hotel de Ville in Ypres. Lieuts Thomas and Furze were doing duty as Brigade Major and Staff Captain to General Lawford, and were billeted in a house in the square. Shelling started, and a Johnson pitched in the Generals house, wounding both officers, and killing 4 and wounding 20 other ranks.

6 Ypres

Brigade moved to Dickebusch, into Corps reserve. During the evening, a a message arrived from Lord Cavan (commanding 4th (Guards) Brigade, in need of assistance. The Brigade marched to Zillebeke, arriving at 2200, and lay in a field around Cavan's HQ.


About 0500, the Brigade left the field, and went down the path through the woods. Overnight, a gun had been positioned to enfilade the German trench. However, the assistance it gave was slight. The Brigade was deployed, screened from the Germans by a slight rise in the ground. The attack was timed for 0615. There was a heavy mist, and it was only just becoming daylight.

The 2nd Queens [actually of course, the whole Brigade, what was left of it] advanced over the rise. German machine guns opened. The second wave came up, and advanced with the first. It was completely successful, and the enemy ran away. There was much shelling, but the Brigade line held on.

The Brigade withdrew that night to the level crossing, where it bivouaced.

8 Zillebeke

Withdrew to Dickebusch, via Locre.

9 Dickebusch

Message received from GOC 7th Division (Capper). "Well done, the 22nd Brigade. Congratulations on a gallant attack, and the capture of machine guns".


The 1st South Staffords virtually ceased to exist after the attack on 7 November, only 43 men remaining on their feet, of the original full-strength Battalion that landed at Zeebrugge on 6th October.

Captain John Vallentin was awarded the VC for his part in the attack on 7 November and for many previous outstanding acts as the battalion held on in the face of overwhelming attack between 20th October and that date. John actually discharged himself from hospital in Ypres, as he had already been wounded, to lead the Staffords into the attack.

Sorry I can't be of much detailed help for the period in question but I hope this gives some flavour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. He is mentioned a couple of times. On disembarkation at Zeebrugge on 6 Oct 14, he was a Major, in command of C Company. CWGC gives his date of death as 1 November. Without having much at all to go on, I think it was the day before. His death is not mentioned as the war diary does not exist for that period, but he was not among the officers listed as being casualties on 25 and 26 October and the composite battalion formed on 1 November was under Vallentin, who was junior in rank to Loder-Symonds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thanks for the comprehensive details provided above. They will prove most useful to me.

All the best,

Andrew :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Chris!

I too have had doubts about the CWGC date on Major Loder Symonds as both ODGW and the local newspaper give his date of death as 31/10/1914 and from what you have, it seems to confirm this ;)

Thanks again


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...


I am researching the 113 Great war dead on the Droitwich (Worcestershire) memorial. One of them was a Private George Edward Chapman 24085 of the 1st South Staffs. He was killed in action on October 2nd 1917 aged 27.

If you have any info about what the battalion was up to at that time, I would be grateful to see it.

Many thanks


Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the battalion diary. As you will see it does not say much about October 2nd but you can fix the positions pretty well from the following narrative:

1917, October


Moved to camp near Chateau Segard

2 Chateau Segard

At 1500, moved to front line and relieved 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

3 In trenches near Polygon Wood

Formed up for attack by 1630, east of Polygon Wood.

Operation orders:

Part of a general attack by 2nd Army, the objective is the Red Line on the 91st Brigade front. The 8th Devons (20th Brigade) will be on the left, the 3/4th Queens (21st Division) on the right. The 22nd Manchesters will pass through the battalion at Z+110, and will capture the Blue Line.

The barrage will be 150 yards ahead, remaining 3 minutes then moving forward at 200 yards in 8 minutes. It will then move to the Red protective barrage (200 yards in front of the Red Line) at 100 yards in 6 minutes, and then to Blue at 100 yards in 8. The barrage will include smoke shells to indicate that we have gained Red and Blue.

If the wind is from the SW to NE, a smoke screen will be placed on Gheluvelt and Becelaere. A dummy barrage will be fired on Gheluvelt by the 5th Divisional Artillery.

By Z-60, the 1st South Staffords will form up on a tape from J.10.b.1.8 to b.1.10, and will be closed up to a depth 120 yards front to rear. The form up will be gradual and silent, under cover of posts and patrols.

At zero the ranks will follow the creeping barrage, D Coy to right front, A to left front. B and C Coys will support and mop up. The Coy boundary will be J.10.b.12.40 - b.00.45 - b.90.70.

After the 22nd Manchesters have passed, Coys will consolidate, with special attention to be paid to Jolting Houses at J.11.a.7.5. two Vickers machine guns will takje up the latter position. One Stokes gun will be placed at the disposal of the battalion. An advanced report centre will be set up, by 2/Lt G.A.C.Sheffield, with scouts, 6 signallers and 4 runners. Visual receiving will be at The Mound (Battalion HQ) at J.10.a.7.8.

Red flares will be lit on the first and second objectives, when a contact aeroplane fires a white light or sounds a horn. The latter will carry a black board on the left lower wing, and 3 broad bands on the body. SOS will be a rifle grenade parachute showing red over green over yellow. A daylight red mortar signal should be reserved only for grave emergencies.

Lt F.Robinson MC will be attached to the 3/4th Queens for liaison.

RAP will be at The Mound (CB: this was in Polygon Wood, where the butte is).

Concentration orders:

Relieve the 1st RWF tonight. The Battalion will parade on the road in front of the captive balloon in H30a. Move off crossroads at H.30.a.35.80 at 0300. On arriving at Hooge Crater, guides will be picked up. Platoons to move at 50 yards intervals.

Tea on halt. Lewis guns off limbers at same.

Those not going are to report to Major D.C.Twiss outside orderly room at 1430.

Equipment: rifle and equipment less pack. 220 rounds SAA. Haversack and one day ration and iron ration. Ground sheet, box respirator, PH helmet. 2 sandbags. Full bottles. The RE dump will be at The Mound.

Water in captured territory will not be consumed until it has been examined by a medical officer.

Operations narrative:

Battalion formed up without incident. There was a good deal of shelling over Polygon Wood, with little damage. Zero was at 0600, and we progressed steadily to timetable.

The right came under heavy machine gun fire, otherwise casualties were light. A large number of Germans were shot or bayonetted, and no pillbox gave trouble.

The 22nd Manchesters passed through and consolidation began, of two defence zones. Jolting House Trench, and a trench running J.5.c.65.10 to J.11.a.5.4. Both gave an excellent field of fire eastwards. A strong point for 2 Lewis and 2 men at J.11.b.3.2 proved an invaluable pivot for the right flank.

At 1300, the enemy opened a stiff barrage, which lasted all afternoon and evening. The situation behind the Blue Line was quiet. The Co went round the posts in the evening.

At 0330, the 2nd Queens arrived. They had lost their CO. A. Beauman assumed command, and ordered them to dig in in Polygon Wood, and await orders.

Reports received at 0430 suggested the Brigade on our right were in unstable condition, so we re-adjusted our own line to have the maximum number of guns on the right, and disposed two Coys of the Queens to form a defensive flank south along Jolting Houses ridge.

The night passed without incident, but for shelling on the Red Line. In the morning of the 5th, the Co went to recce the situation on the right. Considerable elements of the 21st Division were dug in on Reutel ridge but appeared mixed up and disorganised.

Sniping from Judge Copse and machine gun fire from Polderhoek was becoming troublesome and causing casualties. There was heavy shelling all day.

The day of the 6th was quiet, and the battalion was relieved.


{a} an advance made of 800-900 yards on a 450 yard front; {b} estimated 150 Germans killed;{c} 80-100 prisoners taken; {d} 3 light machine guns and 6 medium trench mortars captured.


Killed 3 officers and 36 OR. Wounded 7 officers and 223 OR. Missing 49 OR.


Insufficient shovels and sandbags. Communications to Battn HQ needs 2 officers. Infantry to be warned when a barrage is coming. SOS signals only to be carried by officers (many set off unnecessarily, setting off repeats all down the line).

Killed: Lt (A/Capt) T.D.Parkes


2/Lt C.Teague

Wounded Lt L.Wolverson

Lt A.J.C.Culhane

2/Lt F.H.Slingsby, T.M.Leece, H.Lycett, C.H.Farmer, D.S.Glaze


Relieved by 8th Devons, moved to west of Zillebeke lake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I am researching this man:-

BERESFORD, Ralph, b. Wheelock, Cheshire, e. Wolverhampton, r. Brierley Hill, Staffs., 9632, Lance Corporal, killed in action, France & Flanders, 15/07/16, 1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment. Commemorated Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France, pier and face 7 B. 1st Battalion South Staffs was allocated to 91st Brigade, 7th Division. Having taken part in the attack on Mametz on the First Day of the Somme, this battalion returned to action at High Wood on the 14/07/16, taking and holding the wood. Ordered to withdraw just before midnight on the 14th, Ralph Beresford was probably killed in action during or shortly after the battalion’s withdrawal.

Can the War Diary add anything please Chris?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1916, July

1 In trenches in front of Mametz

Attack began at 0730. Very few casualties until the whole Battn was in Mametz, where a large number of Germans was encountered.

At 0908, a message was received from D Coy who were held up on the south side of the village, and required reinforcements. A Coy of the 21st Manchesters were sent up.

At 1130 a message was received that we had advanced to the north-east corner, and were consolidating. We held Bright Alley with a small force.

At 1200, C Coy were on the right and were making a strong point, D Coy were in Dantzig alley and making a strong point with 2 Stokes mortars. B Coy were on the left.

At 1400, the Battn had gained all objectives except Bunny Alley.

At 1510, we had to withdraw in line with the church, as Fritz Trench on the left had not yet been captured.

At 1730, Battn HQ moved up. Major Morris with great skill, at once reorganised all the troops in the village, and allotted each a task, and sent the following message to Brigade at 1800. "On reaching Mametz, I found 80 men of the 2nd Gordons, 2 Coys of Royal Warwicks, about one and a half Coys of Manchesters, with 500 South Staffords.The CO of the Gordons had not yet arrived, and the general line occupied by the units was Dantzig Alley, from east to west, and running through the village".

At 1940, the final objectives were taken, including 150 prisoners and 2 machine guns.

Casualties suffered by the Battn:

KIA Capt Limbery

2/Lt (T/Capt) George White

2/Lt Stanley Albert Webber

2/Lt Percival Harvey Emberton

DOW 2/Lt Warwick Hall


Lt Eric Hindsley

Lt Reginald Lockyer Hibberdine

2/Lt John Percival Lloyd

2/Lt Godfrey Edward Holdsworth

2/Lt William Henry Radcliffe

plus approximately 300 OR casualties.

Most casualties were after we had captured Dantzig Alley.

The night was quiet, and spent consolidating under Lt Col Norman of the 21st Manchesters.

2 In trenches north of Mametz

One Coy of the Royal Irish Rifles moved up. Enemy shelling, and problems getting water for the men.

At 1045 message received from Division "17th Division will attack Fricourt". 1145: the attack looks OK. Shelling.

At 2120 message received: "Sir Henry Rawlinson wires: Please convey to my old friends the 7th Division my best congratulations on their splendid work yesterday. It is a great pleasure to me once more to thank them for their determination and success. The Corps Commander has the greatest satisfaction in forwarding this. General Watts adds his congratulations, and is prouder than ever of the old 7th Division".

At 2123 message received - 17th Division hold Fricourt Farm and Wood.

3 In trenches north of Mametz

At 0155, message received: 17th Division will capture Railway Alley and Bottom Wood, 21st Division will capture Shelter Wood and Birch Tree Wood. Relieved the Warwicks in Bunny Alley at 0400. Received draft of 7 officers and 15 OR.

At 1922 the Battn moved up to Bottom Wood.

4 In trenches at Bottom Wood, near Mametz

At 1255, relieved by 2nd Royal Warwicks. Battn retired and held Bunny and Railway Alley.

5 In trenches north of Mametz

Withdrew A Coy on right from Bunny Alley to Bunny Trench owing to enfilade shellfire. Relieved by Welsh Division, and to Buire by platoons.

Since the 1-7-16, the Battn was awarded these honours:

2/Lt John Potter DSO

2/Lt (T/Capt) J.Snape MC

2/Lt O.A.Tunnicliffe MC

8860 CSM Bytheway MC

8689 A/RSM Parr MC

8765 Sgt Imm DCM

5993 Sgt W.Truby MM

7022 L/Sgt E.Faulkes MM

8891 Cpl J.Dales MM

19225 Pte C.Bunce MM

9 Buire

Inspected by GOC 7th Division (Watts)


Reinforced by 128 OR (110 from Sherwood Foresters, 13 the Leicesters, and 5 the North Staffords)


Moved to The Citadel

13 The Citadel

Moved to Mansel Copse, and into Divisional Reserve.

14 Bazentin-le-Petit

Took up position behind Bazentin-le-Petit and dug in under heavy shellfire. At 1615, received orders to attack. Moved up, and were in position by 1815. Attacked at 1930, B Coy front left, A Coy front right, D Coy rear left, C Coy rear right. Battn crossed 1600 yards of open ground. About 100 yards from the start, the men stopped, opened rapid fire, and moved on. They were firing at Germans in shell holes 1500 yards in front of High Wood. The Cavalry on the right, and two aircraft, helped the advance. The South Staffords held the greater portion of the north-east border of the Wood until ordered to withdraw at 0330 on the 16-7-16.

2/Lt Potter (strongly recommended for a VC at Mametz) died of wounds.

Lt F.Seckington missing.

E.de Trafford, Tunnicliffe, English-Murphy and 2/Lt V.R.S.White were all splendid. It proved very difficult to get rations and water.

16 In trenches in High Wood

Ordered to withdraw to the Halte near Mametz. Carried out in the steadiest manner. At 0530, arrived at Mansel Copse.


KIA 2/Lt E.L.Ward

2/Lt E.W.Mackrory


Lt N.J.Wragg

2/Lt H.Brocklesby

2/Lt J.D.Williamson

2/Lt J.Potter DSO

2/Lt E.W.Booth

2/Lt V.R.S.White

2/Lt C.McL. Miller

2/Lt O.H.Smith

Other ranks:

KIA 16 (3 of which were ex -Notts and Derbys),

Wounded 135 (35 Notts and Derbys, 2 North Staffs)

Missing 139 (53 Notts and Derbys, 7 Leicesters).

19 In bivouack in Mansel Copse

Moved to west of Becourt-Becordel.

A couple of comments:

I always permit myself a wry smile when I see the WFA memorial in Mametz to the Manchester battalions who apparently captured the village. Not a mention of the Staffords.

The High Wood action is described well - drawing from the various battalion war diaries - in Terry Norman's excellent "The Hell they called High Wood".

Link to comment
Share on other sites


As you may know I have been researching the 8th & 9th Devons (20th Brigade) involvement in the attack on Gheluvelt 26th October 1917. Any chance of providing me with the relevant War Diary entries for the 1st South Staffs on this day please.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was not a good day.

24th October. At Voormezele.

Relieved the 17th Kings Royal Rifles for operations at Gheluvelt.

Operation orders:

X Corps are to co-operate with the main attack further north, by attacking Gheluvelt and Polderhoek Wood. The role of the 7th Division: to capture Gheluvelt, some ground along Zandvoorde spur, and so secure Tower Hamlets ridge.

Battalion orders: B Coy on right front, D in centre, C on left. 2 platoons of A Coy to support C, the remainder of A to support B and D. 1 Coy of 22nd Manchesters attached, whose objective will be to take over battalion front line.

Barrage 150 yards in front for 4 minutes, then creep 200 yards in 12 minutes, then 200 in 8, then 100 per 12 minutes to Red Protective barrage.

Consolidation will be carried out, to obtain a good observation and defence line, to obtain a line of postst from The Mound (J.26.b.0.8) to Berry Cotts to Spur (J.27.a.7.5), plus an intermediate line of posts from Hamp Farm (J.27.a.17.55 to 35.76).

21st Manchesters will be on our left. 19th Division on our right will not attack.

4 Vickers guns will advance with battalion, 2 to rear of Berry Cotts, 2 in the old front line.

4 Stokes mortars under Lt W.C.Conley MC.

Advanced Battalion HQ under 2/Lt G.A.C.Sheffield, will be in old front line.

Signals will, on reaching Red and Blue Lines, show Red and Green Very. Red and White flares, if called by Contact Aeroplane.

SOS will be rifle grenade parachute flares showing red over green over yellow.

Operations narrative:

Battalion formed up without incident, in spite of the moon.

At zero, there was heavy enemy machine gun fire, and a medium barrage on the whole ridge, especially severe on Battalion HQ.

C Coy on left progressed, with heavy casualties, until 50 yards from Berry Cotts. There they encountered very strong opposition, using stick bombs. The Coy were swept by machine guns from Berry Cotts and Lewis House. Mud had rendered rifles and Lewis guns useless. C Coy strength was down to 1 officer and about 20 other ranks, who lay out in shell holes.

D Coy met very strong opposition from Hamp Farm and cross-fire. They only got 50 yards from our front line.

B Coy, protected a little by the lie of the ground, made more progress. They attacked the Mound, with heavy fighting. Both officers and all NCOs were killed or wounded. The remainder of the Coy, now under a Corporal, carried their objective.

The enemy retired, and positions were consolidated. Runners were sent back for reinforcements, but all became casualties. No message got to Battalion HQ. The remnants of B Coy fell back after dusk, destroying one machine gun before doing so.


Killed in action:

2/Lt (A/Capt) W.H.Curry

2/Lt R.S.Pullen

2/Lt D.S.Glaze

2/Lt G.A.C.Sheffield

2/Lt V.Hield

2/Lt W.H.Noakes

38 other ranks


2/Lt S.H.Houle

136 other ranks


2/Lt H.E.Poulton

91 other ranks


Relieved quietly by 20th Manchesters(at 2300 on 26th), marched back to camp at Vierstraat. Joined by 2/Lts C.R.Chambers and A.G.R.Clarke.

28 Vierstraat

Marched to camp at Williebeek

Awards were announced for the actions early this month 94 October):

DSO Lt Col Beauman (Bar),

Capt L.L.Hassell MC,

MC Capt F.A.Kendrick

Lt L.Wolverson

Lt/QM C.O.Wardle

2/Lt G.A.C.Sheffield

Capt W.L.Scott, RAMC

2/Lt G.J.R.Lansdell

DCM 9264 A/Sgt A.Wheatley

25745 Cpl J.Crowther

11271 A/Sgt S.Robinson

13002 Sgt J.Eades

MM 40062 Sgt J.Grocott (Bar)

10547 Pte H.Trumper (Bar)

32511 Pte A.Bradford (Bar)

8909 Pte W.Crawford (Bar)

6638 Pte H.P.Hill

6917 A/Sgt G.Swift

8479 A/CQMS T.Bills

11417 Cpl E.Partridge

7106 Cpl E.Brookhurst

31768 Pte T.Rutter

32635 Pte F.Matthews

19245 Pte J.Humphries

19517 L/Cpl G.Underhill

24245 Pte G.Clarke

6593 L/Cpl S.Mantle

40879 Pte T.Frankum

15313 Pte J.Ward

11300 L/Cpl C.Stokes

12531 Pte W.Myner

40054 Pte H.Mason

9385 Pte H.Skidmore

12927 Pte A.Powney

9419 Pte E.S.Titley

29 Williebeek

Entrained for Ebblinghem, billeted at Lynde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blimey Chris!

I only just hit the send button for this request and here is an answer already.

I've come to the conclusion that human cloning experiments have succeeded and that there are three of you dealing with running your business, looking after your family, the website, forum, etc, etc. :P

Thanks for the information .... much appreciated.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...


Here is the diary for the period.

15 July

Baths at Ervillers. Relieved 21st Manchesters. 2/Lt E.W.Booth appointed Staff Captain to HQ 175th Infantry Brigade.

16-22 In trenches near St Leger

2/Lt D.C.G.Bardsley joined, with 22 OR. 1 man accidentally wounded (21st). Returned to Patricia Camp. D Coy remained in support at the railway embankment at T.24.d.8.2. 1 OR killed, 4 wounded.

Awards for the raid on the 14th were announced:

MM 8912 A/Sgt T.Lockett

11271 A/Sgt S.Robinson

4004 Pte W.Balding

26 Patricia Camp

A Coy relieved D in trenches.


C Coy relieved A.


2/Lt T.N.Wood was awarded a Bar to MC for his part in the raid.


B Coy relieved C.


Battalion relieved 21st Manchesters in left sub-sector.



4 In trenches near St Leger

2/Lt G.Wood returned, from hospital.


Relieved by 10th KOYLI and returned to Patricia Camp. Reinforced by 2/Lts D.S.Glaze and C.W.Wesley.


To billets at Berles-au-Bois. Special order of the day, from Brig-Gen R.T.Pelly DSO, GOC 91st Infantry Brigade: 'On handing over command of the Mort Homme sector the Brigadier wishes to express his appreciation of the work done by all ranks while the Brigade has been in the line'. The CO went on leave, Major D.C.Twiss assuming temporary command.

18 Berles-au-Bois

Corps Horse Show. Lt G.S.Bailey came 2nd in the Jumping, which was open to all officers in the Corps.


Brigade Field Day near Bienvillers.


7th Divisional Fair. The battalion won the Shoubridge Challenge Cup, the Bullecourt Flat Race, the Longatte Hurdles, and Jumping for Infantry,RE and RAMC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...


Could you have a look at the diary for 18th & 19th Dec 1914. Is there any mention of a Lt Bower KIA on one of these days.

Regards Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly Doug, the war diary for that period is not at the PRO. There is a long gap betwen the final pages when the battalion was wiped out on 7 November 1914, and January 1915.

2/Lt Henry Raymond Syndercombe Bower was first mentioned in the diary on 26-October 1914, when wounded during First Battle of Ypres.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 1914 Star trio to 7633 Sjt.G.Lewis, 1/S.Staffs., who apparently arrived in France on 4 Oct. His rank on all three medals is sergeant. He was discharged in June,1915, and was given a silver war badge.

I realize that finding details on other ranks is much tougher than tracking down officers, but as he was a senior NCO in 1914 might his name have surfaced sometime in 1914 or the first half of 1915?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lewis is unfortunately not named in the diary.

4 October is an interesting date! The battalion did not sail until 5 October 1914, when it left Southampton at 7am on the 'Lake Michigan'.

On being finally relieved after First Ypres in the evening of 7 November, the battalion had only 44 men left of the full strength unit that landed at Zeebrugge on 6 October 1914. There must be a strong possibility that Lewis was wounded at this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Once again,thanks for your time and help.

Regards Doug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


at present i am researching the 88 soldiers commemorated on the cheadle(n.staffs)memorial would it be possible to check to see if any mention is made of a lieutenant john stanley goodwin,kia 28th march 1917 at croiselles.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...