Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dublin Fusiliers in Salonika

stephenh

Pals

Could somebody tell me were the 6th battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers were around late November early December 1916. I am 99% sure they were in Salonika. The reason I ask is that I have my man receiving gunshot wounds to both legs and being taken to hospital in Malta on the 14th December, and I am trying to pinpoint in what action he may have been wounded.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The 6th RDF were indeed in Salonika in late November/early December 1916. I'm not sure what they were doing at that time. I'll check Under the Devil's Eye when I get a chance, but I don't think there was much going on.

Are you sure the dates in question weren't late Nov./early Dec. 1915? They were involved in the fighting in Serbia and the retreat from Serbia to Salonika at that time and definitely took casualties.

Regards,

Liam.

Hi Stephen,

The 6th. and 7th. RDF as part of 10th. Division were involved in action against the Bulgarians in and around Karajakois and Yenikoi in October 1916.

Wounded 836

Malaria 554

Killed 189.

He may have been initially treated in Salonica and later in Malta.

As far as I can tell the fighting did not extend into Nov. However, there may have been minor skirmishes during this period. Tom Johnstone gives a good account of the Macedonia campaign in his book, Orange, Green and Khaki.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I think it must have been during minor skirmishes around Monastir, from what I gather, in late November or early December, as it says on his service papers that he was taken to a Military Hospital in Malta on 14th December 1916, and was the end of his war.

With regard to the action at Yenokoi, he was wounded at this battle and indeed treated in Salonika. Appreciate your casualty figures on this.

Dont know about you, but I find getting good information about the time in Salonika difficult to come by and I am grateful for your help Ken.

Stephen

It must have been bloody around Struma river in October 1916. The fighting around Enikjoj village was particularly intense. It was at least four times taken and retaken by both sides. The Bulgarian regiments there - 3th Bdin and 22th Thracian- took very heavy casualties from the artillery barrage of the British batteries across Struma.

Actually the verses below my post which I use as a signature, were written by a man who fell in the same engagement - poet Dimcho Debeljanov, company commander in 22th regiment was killed there on 2nd October 1916.

• 3 months later...

I apologize for inserting this-possibly directed towards Stephen, on an old subject.I have just joined this GWForum, and am actually searching a relative, EAGStoker. Stephen had inquired about him in 2004. I am going to try to start a discussion to learn more. Hopefully i will figure it out. JStoker