Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Chymist (Sgt)

Neil Mackenzie

Sgt Frederick Chymist won the MSM when with the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment (gazetted 12 March 1917) and was killed 26/9/17 in E Battalion of the Tank Corps.

Has anyone come across him - in particular I would like to know how he won the MSM or any information on the action he was in when he was killed?

He is buried in Bridge House Cemetery near Ypres.

Many thanks as always.

Neil

Mel.

Thanks for your reply - do you know if there will there be a citation for the MSM or just the basic entry of the award?

Thanks.

Neil

I'll check the histories and the Tank Corps Roll of Honour;

what I can't do is find him on the CWGC website <_< -

Can you send me the link?

Stephen

SDGW states Frederick Chymist, born Bromley by Bow Middx, enlisted Guildford; Book of Honour states he came from Stafford and makes no mention of either medal

• 10 years later...

My great uncle LH Wray kept a diary of his time with the MMGC and Tank Corps during 1917 before his death on 20 November 1917 at Cambrai.  A copy of the diary is deposited at Bovington Tank Museum under donation D56

The diary of my great uncle - Gunner Leslie Halkes Wray 200988 of 6 Section 14 Company E Battalion Tank Corps reports the following for 26th September 1917

'Our objective was Otto (or this could be Cotto) Farm but our two buses were caught in the German barrage and had direct hits and killed Sgt Chymist, Glasbrook, and L/C Beck.

Collier was ditched, as was Colombe in 'No Mans Land' but both were practically untouched although Collier was inoculated against tetanus.  All buses except 2 back.  5 section took Zonnebeke and Infantry captured all objectives.  Zero was 5.40.am

Earlier diary entries for 22nd September and 23rd September show that Wray's crew were at Reigesburg Chateau on the outskirts of Ypres.  Leslie Wray, Bob Collier and Philibutt Colombe went into Poperinghe at night on Sunday 23rd.

Entry for 24 September is:

'Had the day to ourselves until 6 o clock when we went to the Chateau with the intention of taking the machines up to English Farm.  We had reached the Chateau when the Major told us our bus and 29 were not going into this action.  So we had to return.  A week ago today 13 and 15 Coy were in action.'

25 September:

'The Company had the day off prior to going into action.  They went by Lorry at 6 o clock and we eagerly awaited news of them.'

I hope this information helps with regards to Fred Chymist

Welcome to the Forum Tiny Tim

We will remember your great uncle at Cambrai next Monday

The diary also contains some cricket scores of when Tank Crews had some R&R

I can find details of some games played on the 6th, 7th, and 9th July 1917, when the crews were at Anvin near St. Pol.  Match on 7th is between E Battalion Section 5 versus Section 6

Sgt Chymist batted at number 1 and number 2 in these games, although I get the impression that the equipment was pretty shoddy - played with sticks or bats cut from scrap timber.  Chymist looks like he could bat a bit, anyhow - didn't get any ducks like the majority of the others! 

Thank you for comments about Remembrance on Monday 20 November.

Last weekend saw three generations of Leslie Wray's remaining family at Nocton Church in Lincolnshire, where his parents erected a stained-glass window featuring a Tank, Machine Gun and Tank Corps Badge.  Leslie's great-great nephew wore Leslie's Great War medals - something Leslie never got to do....

Tiny Tim.

Many thanks - the information is much appreciated.

Now if I could only remember why I asked the question............

Neil