Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Brothers

Terence Munson

The GRO produced an Index of all UK Army, Navy and RAF death certificates issued 1914-1921 for all servicemen who died overseas (it also lists the UK deaths for RN men).

This index gives name, rank, number, unit/ship, year of death and the DC refence number (which, if quoted, gets you a cheaper death certificate).

Terry, Tom R Newmarch was the subject of: This Topic in Soldiers a couple of weeks ago During the discussion I found in the local library a report in a local weekly ‘Grimsby News’ that said his brother S. W. Newmarch had been killed earlier in the war (photo in post 5). It is also a puzzle that the elder brother is not included on the St. Giles Memorial. While I realise they many reasons for them to be not commemorated by the CWGC or the commemorations not to be recognised, alias’s and the like, I do think they are possible Non-Commemorations. I’m at present convalescing at home after 9 days in hospital, disappointingly I’ve not received any replies to local enquires I made before I went in!

I wondered if you would check the GRO Overseas Death Index for them as a first step in my resumed search for more info. on these brothers?

Cheers Terry

Terry

No match in the GRO, I'm afraid.

Nothing at all that I can see for SW N. There is a 1917 listing for a Richard N. Pte, 35953, Yorkshire Light Infantry. Any idea what Tom's middle name was? GRO ref is I 41 114.

Possible, of course, that they died in the UK.

John

Thanks John

Looks like there is no easy route to sort this one, so I'll have to work out a way forward.

Thanks again

Terry

Terry

There are only a handful of possibles amongst the MICs, including only 1 "S" whose service number looks like early RFA. Other than having a nosy to see if they give clue, a look-up for service papers at Kew might be the only way forward.

John

More....

FreeBMD records birth in the March quarter of 1894 of Tom Reginald N at Caistor.

It also has a Sidney Wilberforce N born Caistor December quarter 1891.

That's got to be the pair of them. Just a matter of finding them dead now.

John

This looks like Sydney/Sidney's MIC

Clickety click

John - I downloaded that MIC a couple of weeks ago, it could well be him but it doesn’t seem give anything extra in the way of clues!

This is it:SNMic.jpg

From a page of six. Conversion from .pdf to .jpg didn’t enhance the quality! I’ll hunt for the death certs. later this week.

Cheers Terry

......and a welcome return of this smily mariner:

win.jpg

Terry,

Not sure if this helps or hinders. Just looking through a Gy News Cas. list for 18.10.18. Listed is a D. Newmarch (Grimsby) N.Staffs, previously reported missing now reported POW. :o

Steve.

Terry,

Not sure if this helps or hinders. Just looking through a Gy News Cas. list for 18.10.18. Listed is a D. Newmarch (Grimsby) N.Staffs, previously reported missing now reported POW. :o

Steve.

Thanks Steve I'm not sure either - I'm going to search for the death certificates later this week and also talk to the Parish Council to see if they have any information on the memorial.

Cheers Terry

Update:

I now have Tom R Newmarch's death certificate. Having re-read Terry’s notes for guidance, it seems the circumstances of Tom R’s death could qualify him in the much harder to prove second category. While it’s difficult to imagine that a 23 year old sergeant would be pensioned for anything less than serious illness or injury, I guess I need more documentation with dates etc. to put together a viable submission.

This is his death certificate:

trncert.jpg

I Googled Phthisis:

Phthisis [ty'sis]

* Literally, means a wasting disease but almost invariably will mean pulmonary tuberculosis.

* Any debilitating lung or throat affections; a severe cough; asthma.

Cheers Terry

Terry

Yes - you need to do some more digging. Specifically, I think you need to establish when Tom was discharged from the army to see whether there is a very close connection with date of death. Secondly, and more importantly, to try to establish what was the cause of him being pensioned off. That is likely to be in pension records or his service records (if survived) at Kew. In itself, phthisis is not going to convince MoD/CWGC.

John

Thanks John,

I still have a couple of local possible sources to check out. Am I right in thinking pension records escaped the worst of the Blitz? Meanwhile I'm still digging for Sidney's death certificate!

Cheers Terry

• 5 months later...

Update - I now have details of Tom R. Newmarch's pension records via Ancestry's website.

Lance Sergeant Tom R. Newmarch No 2330 2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry

Enlisted Grimsby: 11/01/1915

Illness (T.B.) originated: 30/3/16 at Norwich

Medical Discharge: 6/6/16

Died: 4/2/1917

His brother's death (May 1914) was outside the CWGC qualifying dates.

Do I have enough to request a review?

Cheers Terry

Do I have enough to request a review?

Cheers Terry

Terry

Unfortunately I don't think that you have. According to the medical report dated 21/5/1916 your man was discharged from the army due to an illness which was "Not the result of military service". It sounds like the condition was ongoing because further down the report it states "Not aggravated by military service" (He had TB)

Sorry

Andy

Andy - I guess I don't know enough about TB. I thought it was/is highly contagious and I'm not sure how it could be declared "Not the result of military service" when has a fit man he enlisted and served 14 months before he contracted the disease, but I guess that comment on his medical report would prevent any success.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Terry

I think that there could be a case here.

The 'not result of military service' is quite common on these records and I think it is taken to mean not due to action, training accident etc but due to an illness which was not specifically due to a posting etc (eg malaria in the Far East).

TB could have been contracted by the close confinement of barracks life etc and, from recent cases submitted, is often accepted as 'service attributable' - the phrase used today.

The real clincher is a very short period between discharge with TB and death from TB. As it is a long term illness, this means that it had to be contracted whilst in service.

I think that there could be a case here.

Terry - Welcome news indeed. I will send you a PM.

Cheers Terry

• 3 years later...