Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J Parkin

Guest Graham Dines

Guest Graham Dines

I am trying to research the circumstances surrounding the death of my wife's uncle J Parkin. He was a private serving in the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) 3rd Battalion. His service number was 2975 and his date of death was January 9 1915 and he is buired in the Malta Capuccini Naval Cemetery.

Why was he in Malta? My reserach shows that the 167th (1st London) Brigade left the 56th (London) division and moved to Malta in September 1914. Is that why he was in Malta and what was the reason the brigade went to the island.

Any help will be greatfully received.

I am trying to research the circumstances surrounding the death of my wife's uncle J Parkin. He was a private serving in the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) 3rd Battalion. His service number was 2975 and his date of death was January 9 1915 and he is buired in the Malta Capuccini Naval Cemetery.

Why was he in Malta? My reserach shows that the 167th (1st London) Brigade left the 56th (London) division and moved to Malta in September 1914. Is that why he was in Malta and what was the reason the brigade went to the island.

Any help will be greatfully received.

SDGW has

Parkin Joseph enlisted Edward Street Kensington, 2975, Private, Died, malta 9/1/1915. He must have been ill before they left because I believe that the battalion moved to France, leaving Malta on 2 Jan 1915.

stevem

Hi Steve,

the 1st London Infantry Brigade consisted of the first four battalions of the London Regiment and were the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (City of London) Battalions, The London Regiment. (Royal Fusiliers). The brigade sailed from Southampton to Valletta where it arrived on the 14th September, 1914 where it relieved the Regular Army garrison. This consisted of the 2nd Royal Warwickshire, 2nd West Yorkshire, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 2nd Cameronians and 2nd Middlesex Regiments. The 3rd Londons moved to Imtafa into barracks as the brigade took over the public duties on the island and also began training. This lasted until the 2nd January 1915 when the 2nd/1st London Brigade, the Royal Fusiliers second line battalions, arrived to relieve the now numbered 1st/1st London Brigade that sailed to Marseilles. The 1st/3rd Londons on the 10th February moved north and joined the Garwhal Brigade, The Meerut Division in the Indian Army Corps. The 1st/1st Battalion had remained behind to assist the new brigade settle in on Malta. Hope this helps you some. Regards John