Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Scottish Hospital?

Terry Carter

Below is a section from a postcard of a group of wounded soldiers in their 'Hospital Blues.'

The photographer's name is Kelly of Perth, Scotland. The men are all wearng armbands with possibly the name of the Hospital that is treating them.

I can just make out a section of letters " ILLYRIE " Does anyone know what the full word would be?

thanks

Terry

post-66-1170423412.jpg

Below is a section from a postcard of a group of wounded soldiers in their 'Hospital Blues.'

The photographer's name is Kelly of Perth, Scotland. The men are all wearng armbands with possibly the name of the Hospital that is treating them.

I can just make out a section of letters " ILLYRIE " Does anyone know what the full word would be?

thanks

Terry

There is a Tyllirie near Kinross. Not far from Perth

This is TILLYRIE, PERTHSHIRE - actually UPPER TILLYRIE. It is at the centre of a dispute at present re a windfarm. Strangely it is near Milnathort where Sassoon and Owen went for a beer at a local hotel - a subject of another thread on the forum. It is just off the M90 motorway near Kinross/Milnathort.

Aye

Malcolm

Aye

Malcolm

This is TILLYRIE, PERTHSHIRE - actually UPPER TILLYRIE. It is at the centre of a dispute at present re a windfarm. Strangely it is near Milnathort where Sassoon and Owen went for a beer at a local hotel - a subject of another thread on the forum. It is just off the M90 motorway near Kinross/Milnathort.

Aye

Malcolm

Aye

Malcolm

oops, quite correct Malcolm B) Never mind your Ps and Qs. Keep an eye on your Is and Ys! :blink:

Guest KevinEndon

Now that the hospital has been idntified I thought I would post an add on.

This bloke looks fairly physically fit and maybe the end of his time in the hospital. I have often wondered what is in the mind of these soldiers who were about to go back to the front line as this is what happened to my GGF. He was wounded on the Somme got a trip back to blighty, got married and then went back to the front.

The first time going out may have been exciting with a little fear but to go back out after not only being wounded but to see the sights again must have been horrendous. Or was the thought of joining pals again to beat the hun over riding the fear.

Kevin