Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cabaret-Rouge, Souchez

Cynthia

Dear Pals,

On this most recent 'Grand Tour," I agreed to take some photos for one of our Canadian Pals of his relatives who were at St. Sever. Duty done, except for one thing - one of the men was NOT at St. Sever! Found out he is actually at Cabaret-Rouge, Souchez, near Arras and Bethune in the Pas de Calais. We were not able to get to that cemetery, and I am wondering if anyone who is going over in the near future will be visiting that cemetery and could take the picture?

The soldier in question is a Canadian named Heighton, F.C. His grave number is listed as XXIX A.25. If you are able to do this, please contact me directly and I will put you on to our Canadian Pal who requested the photo.

Thanks very much.

Cynthia

I'm sorry I'm not going but last time I was there I was searching for a grave that did not exist! There is an error in part of the CWGC Register for Caberet Rouge ( at least there was) and it took the local French staff who were working in the cemetery to get their master register and discover the row in question didn't exist. They found the grave eventually and were as delighted as I was.

Good luck

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the tip, Malcolm. I wonder if Terry Denham should know about this and perhaps they can check the registers out to make sure they are correct. Poor Terry - I bet he regrets that lunch with me now more than ever!

Cynthia

Cynthia

Heighton's grave number is confirmed as XXIX.A.25 by the original 1929 CWGC register. (I am assuming Malcom's incorrect register was one of the new computer produced ones).

I am always happy to do any register checks for anyone.

And - NO- I do not regret the lunch - even though the credit card bill arrived this morning. Did you really have that much wine?

Terry,

Yes it was (and still is) in the web register.

ROSS

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 14/04/1918

Service No: 26417

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXI. AA. 24.

Cemetery: CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

He is in XXI AA 21 as there is no number 24.

Aye

Malcolm

Cynthia

My utmost apologies. I always strive to be the gentleman. I even take my boots off in bed!

Malcolm

I'll get the grave number error sorted. However, the original 1929 register gives the grave number as XXI.AA.24

Malcolm

CWGC have responded to my query regarding your alleged wrong grave number.

They sent a man to check from Area Office and the answer is that their figure is correct. There is no error in the database, the cemetery register or on site.

The grave number is confirmed as XXI.AA.24

In many cemeteries the grave numbering is confusing - often with more headstones in a row than there are grave numbers in the register - this being caused by multiple burials in graves with the same number (not suggesting that is what has happened here) but each man still having his own headstone.