Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for my Grandfather

geejayboy

I am looking for some help in tracing my grandfathers war record in the First World War.

His name was Charles Johnston and was an Acting Corporal in the Cameron Highlanders.

I have his two medals (War and Victory) and his number is S29625 and Im afraid that is all I have

ANY help would be gratfully appreciated

Regards

GORDON

ANY help would be gratfully appreciated

Best advice I can offer is to suggest you read the research section of the mother site before doing anything else.

John

Melpack,

Downloaded the Medal card and tried to understand the information on it. There was all the information I knew but nothing to say wher he was posted or when he was discharged.

If he received the two medals, does that not mean he was posted overseas???...or am I reading it wrong??

John,

Thanks to you for your assistance, if I could ask one other question...........How do I find out what Battalion, Division etc, he was in and what theatre of war they were sent to.

Regards

Gordon

Probably your best bet is to post a copy of his MIC here.

As to serving overseas, to my knowledge it is very unlikely he could have gained both medals without serving overseas.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I cant copy the MIC of either of my grandfather, but the information I would like explained is as follows.......

Roll:-G/103 B11 Page:-604 ?????????

and in the line immediately above 'Theatre of war first served in' it states Sub?List B?orG?/A/604 ???????

and on my other grandfather's MIC it has ASC/5?orS?A.H.T.D. underneath 'Corps' ????????????

Thanks for any help.

Gordon

Roll: G/103 B11 Page 604

This reference refers to the Medal roll books held at the National Archives at Kew.

Split down:

G/ = Letter code of issuing medal office.

103 B11 = Specific reference to a medal roll book. These have been stored in the National Archive and re-referenced as WO329 files. There are books at the NA to convert between the two references in order to let you order the book from the WO329 "stack".

Page 604 - The page within the above book. The page should carry the details of which battalion he served in.

The Medal card usually only states a Theatre of War and date of entry if he went overseas before 1-1-1916 and therefore qualified for a 1914 or 1914-15 Star. No entry here usually means he went overseas on or after 1-1-1916.

The 2nd reference will read SWB List etc.

Again, these can be converted to WO329 references to access the Medal Roll for the Silver War Badge. This will contain information which details date of enlistment, date of discharge, unit discharged from (though sometimes it says Depot rather than a battalion number), and cause of discharge. (sometimes deatiled, sometimes very short)

The ASC reference I can't make out.

Steve.