Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Memorial Angus

Black Jock

Hi David,

I was advised to seek you out!

I found out today that a memorial was removed from its site by a company whilst it expanded. According to the person who gave me the information it was meant to be reinstated. I dont want to mention the company involved or the location as I am unsure how best to approach the subject and would appreciate your counsel. I have a photo but it is a copy of a copy. It is a fine memorial to the losses of a small hamlet. I am also led to believe that it is stored near the site

Tom

Hi David,

I was advised to seek you out!

I found out today that a memorial was removed from its site by a company whilst it expanded. According to the person who gave me the information it was meant to be reinstated. I dont want to mention the company involved or the location as I am unsure how best to approach the subject and would appreciate your counsel. I have a photo but it is a copy of a copy. It is a fine memorial to the losses of a small hamlet. I am also led to believe that it is stored near the site

Tom

Write a letter to the company enquiring as to their plans. Write to the Courier telling them what the outcome was. Next step, write to the local councillor, your councillor, MSP, and MP. Contact the British Legion ( Broughty Ferry?) , Black Watch Assoc. Dundee and Dalhousie Castle in Perth. If its an Angus memorial it will have Black Watch men on it.

:D I found the memorial errect and well at the back of Eathiebeaton Quarry, Angus. It is in the grounds of what was Eathiebeaton House which was demolihed I believe in the eighties. It is in a good location just off a hard metaled path.

Today was a good day to find it as the sun was out and so were the snowdrops, naturalised daffodils are well up and I think it could be a bluebell wood. The quarry site manager was very helpful and directed me to the memorial which commemorates the Lairds sons who died as well as two men of the estate. The mother, father and surviving son are also named.

:angry: I have taken photos however I have mislaid the lead! As soon as I get one I'll post the photos.

Tom

These are the names on the memorial. I tried unsuccessfuly to put photos in another place. The names on the memorial are.

Fergusson, Allen Arklay, Capt. 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards. Age 29. KIA 15/09/1916.

GUARDS' CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS. VIII. P. 6. Eldest son and heir of the late Robert Arklay Fergusson and Maud Careton

Fergusson, Ethelbeaton, Angus.

Fergusson, James Grant, Lieut. 8th Bn. The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) Age 27. KIA 14/07/1916

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. Pier and Face 10 A. Second son of the late Robert Arklay Fergusson, of Ethiebeaton, Angus, and of Maud Carleton Arklay Fergusson.

Lindsay, Charles, L. Pte. 33443. DOW 03/12/1916. H.A.C. CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN. VIII. A. 37. 16th Bn. Highland Light Infantry, Age 20. Son of David and Agnes Lindsay, of Drumsturdie Rd., Kingennie, Angus and Ethiebeaton. Formerly S/15636 R.Hldrs (Black Watch)

Lindsay, William, Japp. L/Cpl. S/16939. KIA 01/08/1918. SOISSONS MEMORIAL. 4/5th Bn.The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), Ethiebeaton, Angus

Tom

Interesting. I'm up that way often with the dog but can't say that I've seen this. I must look out for it the next time I'm there. Funnily I've just been looking into the background of Pte S/9298 John Guthrie Cameron of the 1st Bat Black Watch who was KIA on the 30th April 1916. His details are given as "Son of Isabella A. Cameron of Hillock, Kingennie which is shown as being at the top of Ethiebeaton Road, at the Junction with the Drumsturdy road, quite possibly, at the time, in the same estate.

Interesting. I'm up that way often with the dog but can't say that I've seen this. I must look out for it the next time I'm there. Funnily I've just been looking into the background of Pte S/9298 John Guthrie Cameron of the 1st Bat Black Watch who was KIA on the 30th April 1916. His details are given as "Son of Isabella A. Cameron of Hillock, Kingennie which is shown as being at the top of Ethiebeaton Road, at the Junction with the Drumsturdy road, quite possibly, at the time, in the same estate.

Hi Ian,

You obviously know the area. The find of the monument come up the Ethiebeaton Rd. from the Arbroath Rd. Pass the quarry entrance on the right go on 2-300 yds on the right is Ethiebeaton Lodge that is the entry. Go thru the iron gate. Follow the track for about 400 yds the memorial is on the right. Bet you will be there tomorow weather permitting. :D

Aye

Tom

Ian,

Sorry, I didn't come back to you on John Cameron 9298. He is in the PJ Memorial suplement 1925, address is Murroes Loan, Kingennie, is this the same place or could it be up at the Murroes. On the SNWM he is born Dundee. Kingennie was part of Monifieth District. which I am led to believe reached to Wellbank and up until 1913 Broughty Ferry was in the parish of Monifieth. I am not sure how far east it went. I will look at the Monifieth Mem. He could be on one of the smaller Mems in the district.

Aye

Tom

Tom,

I'll probably have a look at the monument on Saturday, It'll probably be too Dark by the time I get a chance tomorrow. I'm quite often up that way as my daughter keeps her horse in the fields across the road and I often kill two birds with the same stone by walking the dog in the fields after I've dropped her off. As for John Cameron I got his details from CWGC. The reason that I was interested is that he is buried in the next grave to my great Uncle at Bully-Grenay. Any further details would be welcome though. Thanks in advance

regards

Ian

P.S.

I take it you've seen the thread about James Wilson 8th Bat? there's abit about your monument and James Grant Ferguson and this Link http://histsoc.stanford.edu/pdfST/ST27no1.pdf

Tom,

I'll probably have a look at the monument on Saturday, It'll probably be too Dark by the time I get a chance tomorrow. I'm quite often up that way as my daughter keeps her horse in the fields across the road and I often kill two birds with the same stone by walking the dog in the fields after I've dropped her off. As for John Cameron I got his details from CWGC. The reason that I was interested is that he is buried in the next grave to my great Uncle at Bully-Grenay. Any further details would be welcome though. Thanks in advance

regards

Ian

P.S.

I take it you've seen the thread about James Wilson 8th Bat? there's abit about your monument and James Grant Ferguson and this Link http://histsoc.stanford.edu/pdfST/ST27no1.pdf

Yes Ian,

I saw the post it is amazing how things go round someone else sent me the link on the back of my post. I hope you enjoy the walk to the monument. I think they have put it in a good position, my expectation was to find a heap of rubble.

Tom