Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this uniform ?

teulu

edit1.jpg

My first post so please bear with me.

Can you help me identify my grandfather's uniform / corps ? This is a section of a photo that says "taken in Ramleh Palestine" on the back. I can provide a slightly larger picture of his cap badge if required. I appreciate that the badge is not exactly crystal clear.

His name was William Moran and any pointers you might offer could help me target his MIC.

Regards

I would say the tunic is stock Khaki Drill ? judging from the cut of the pockets and the collar . as for the badge I wouldnt try to enlarge it any more ! In fact i would make it smaller and perhaps a bit of detail might come back ? It may be a bit large , but how bout Royal Engineers ???

I would say the tunic is stock Khaki Drill ? judging from the cut of the pockets and the collar . as for the badge I wouldnt try to enlarge it any more ! In fact i would make it smaller and perhaps a bit of detail might come back ? It may be a bit large , but how bout Royal Engineers ???

It does have the shape of an RE badge.

stevem

It does have the shape of an RE badge.

stevem

William was a bus driver for 20+ years after the war prompting a colleague to suggest the Army Supply Corps. There are a number of Wm Moran whose Reg No on the MIC are prefaced by T and also M.

postcard-asc.JPG

Thank you for the replies. I have tried squinting and resizing the badge downwards but nothing leaps out !

edit1.jpg

i took montbrehain's advice and downsized the image to include the two pals.

can you tell me if the two hat styles were typical or indicative of army / corps etc ?

Teulu, Believe it or not they are probably the same type and pattern of hat (1903 pattern ??? stiff top ) The man on the left has taken the wire stiffener ring out of the top of his , and may also have removed the Buckram material as well. There is a chance it may be another type of hat known commonly as a 1916 "trench cap" but I feel its the former. they are both wearing Khaki drill tunics (issued and worn in hotter climates) and 1903 pattern leather belts. did you notice the "prickly pear" cactus in the background ?

.... they are both wearing Khaki drill tunics (issued and worn in hotter climates) and 1903 pattern leather belts. did you notice the "prickly pear" cactus in the background ?

Thank you for the prompt reply. The hotter climate tunics and cactus fit in nicely with the "taken in Ramleh Palestine" on the photo back. Makes it 1917 if I've read the Palestine precis on the site correctly.

William was a bus driver for 20+ years after the war prompting a colleague to suggest the Army Supply Corps. There are a number of Wm Moran whose Reg No on the MIC are prefaced by T and also M.

postcard-asc.JPG

Thank you for the replies. I have tried squinting and resizing the badge downwards but nothing leaps out !

Army Service Corps. 1918 became Royal Army Service Corps. 1965 Royal Corps of Taxis' (Transport)

Yet another unit that started off under the RE banner :D

Could he have been a bus driver before the war? There were auxiliary transport companies and 300 drivers volunteered from the London Omnibus Company (along with buses!).i think the T and M are something to do with the type of transport but I am no ASC expert.

stevem

Army Service Corps. 1918 became Royal Army Service Corps. 1965 Royal Corps of Taxis' (Transport)

Yet another unit that started off under the RE banner :D

Could he have been a bus driver before the war? There were auxiliary transport companies and 300 drivers volunteered from the London Omnibus Company (along with buses!).i think the T and M are something to do with the type of transport but I am no ASC expert.

stevem

Aah yes Army Service Corps. The T prefacing the reg no relates to horse driven transport and the M motorised it seems. I don't know but suspect he was not a bus driver pre war.

I know very little about Wm he died before I was born. He came from Eire and married in London post war. He was 18 in 1914. I don't know if he enlisted from Eire or London. There are 130 William Morans' MICs online at the NA so homing in is a challenge. Hence my appeal re badge / uniform here !

All I have is this photo. No medals and no longer anyone to ask about him.

Is the one on the right holding a riding-crop under his arm? This could confirm a mounted Corps at least

Tony

Tony

Yes I can see what you mean. Well spotted. Thanks.

Wm on the left seems to be leaning on a stick / weapon ?

Does the difference in button size between the two have any bearing ?

teule

I would assume that this is just a trick of the light as the one on the left is obviously in more shadow than his colleague, their pocket buttons appear to be the same size.

Tony

Badge of some sort on left cuff of the guy on the right, crossed swords, rifles, spades? or maybe just a mark on the photo?

Neil

If the gent on the right is 'mounted corps' the badge has a look of the Duke of Lancasters

Dave.

I think that they may not be riding crops ? , could be a swagger sticks ? Type "swagger stick" in to the search bar. Both men a carrying them . man on the left has his with the tip resting on the ground, the man on the right has his tucked under his arm.

I think that they may not be riding crops ? , could be a swagger sticks ? Type "swagger stick" in to the search bar. Both men a carrying them . man on the left has his with the tip resting on the ground, the man on the right has his tucked under his arm.

Following your observation I photoshopped the levels a bit and now indeed the swagger sticks are evident. Also evident now is the headless dog !

Off to read up on who might have such sticks as suggested.

Thank you all for your input.

Appreciated.

Following your observation I photoshopped the levels a bit and now indeed the swagger sticks are evident. Also evident now is the headless dog !

Off to read up on who might have such sticks as suggested.

Thank you all for your input.

Appreciated.

A colleague says that William (left) appears to be wearing jodhpurs. Can anyone advise ? Are they putties ?

Have read a few swagger stick articles on the web. Would it have been unlikely for a Private to sport a swagger stick.

Thanking you for your patience with a newbie.