Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Hazeley Down memorial, Hants

Has anyone got the inscription on the base of the memorial cross, which may commemorate some or all troops who trained in the area during WWI ?

Daggers

Please and Thank you work here !

I do have pics of the memorial SOMEWHERE ! but for the life of me, I cant find them . So tomorrow Ill go up there and take them again. I seem to recall the memorial may be on private land ? Allthough access is possible through a nearby gate. Ill post them up when I return "MO"

I do have pics of the memorial SOMEWHERE ! but for the life of me, I cant find them . So tomorrow Ill go up there and take them again. I seem to recall the memorial may be on private land ? Allthough access is possible through a nearby gate. Ill post them up when I return "MO"

Hello Mo

Thank you your post. There is no rush for the inscription and I should not want you to get [a] wet or arrested for trespass!

I have seen a photo of the memorial cross on an Ordnance Survey site but the wording was obscure. My aim is to find out whether it commemorates all units which trained in the area, or, as some sites indicate, only some London battalions. If the former, I shall include it in my notes on a relative who was there with 11 SWB in 1915.

Ta!

Daggers

I have a photo of this memorial and can tell you that the commemorated battalions are all from the London Regiment, namely the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 20th.

Jon.

Jon

Thank you for that - I hope Montbrehain reads this before he sets off tomorrow. I shall not include the memorial in my bit on Angus Macmillan, 11 SWB.

As always, this is a most helpful forum.

Daggers

No problem , My day off and I needed a spin in the mini ! The carved plaque is pretty well grown over , so perhaps Jon can post his pic ? or let us know what it says ? I do know it mentions the London Scottish and Poplar Rifles ? I attach a map that may be of use for any future vistors ? and a small blue arrow points to the position of the memorial. It can be hard to spot from the road. Any way hope this is of help "MO" post-13272-1170418954.jpgpost-13272-1170418983.jpg

post-13272-1170419040.jpg

post-13272-1170419084.jpg

post-13272-1170419142.jpg

No problem , My day off and I needed a spin in the mini ! The carved plaque is pretty well grown over , so perhaps Jon can post his pic ? or let us know what it says ? I do know it mentions the London Scottish and Poplar Rifles ? I attach a map that may be of use for any future vistors ? and a small blue arrow points to the position of the memorial. It can be hard to spot from the road. Any way hope this is of help "MO" post-13272-1170418954.jpgpost-13272-1170418983.jpg

post-13272-1170419040.jpg

post-13272-1170419084.jpg

post-13272-1170419142.jpg

Montbrehain and Jon Miller

Between you you have provided a smashing answer - I hope the path was not too steep/wet/brambled.

There is a pic and maps are offered on a website which comes up first on Googling Hazeley Down War Memorial, describing the contents of OS square SU5025, but no mention of the dedication.

Many thanks again

Daggers

This is the inscription.....

TO THE GLORY OF GOD

And in thankful remembrance of the officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the following battalions of the London Regiment stationed in this camp in the years 1916-1917 who in the Great War gave their lives for their country. This wayside cross is erected by their comrades.

13th Battn London Regt (Kensingtons)

14th Battn London Regt (London Scottish)

15th Battn London Regt (Civil Service)

16th Battn London Regt (Queen’s Westminster Rifles)

17th Battn London Regt (Poplar & Stepney Rifles)

20th Battn London Regt (Blackheath & Woolwich)

• 1 year later...
blandford dave

im a newbie to the Forum but visited the memorial at hazeley down today (12 June 08) as have become intruiged by the history of the site ! As a kid lived in Twy ford just down the road from Hazeley Down and can remember vague mentions of their once being "a camp " there .Never realised that there was a memorial there as i cant remember it being visible from the road but do remember very very clearly there being a large army cap badge made of concrete on the corner of the private road and the main road !!It is very over grown at present but it is still in situ ! The memorial appears to have had a clean up since the last set of photos but sadly no wreath was in place . if any body wants uptodate pics i will be happy to upload them.IF any one has info on Hazeley i would be very grateful!!

Michael Johnson

I learned this week that it was at Hazeley Down that my wife's grandfather was crimed: 28 days FP2 for "causing a disturbance in camp".

• 6 years later...

Does anyone have a date and reference for when the wayside cross at Hazeley Down Camp was erected?

Thanks I've checked the companion thread but still no date as to when the wayside cross was errected. We have a date of the 30 July 1916 for the memorial service but clearly the cross was not built at this time. The date span on the cross of 1916 to 1917 would suggests a date after 1917 and I know the London regiments left Hazeley at the end of 1917.

I would be grateful for any reference to the date the cross was erected and the associated memorial service.

Many thanks

Patrick

I'm assuming that we're talking about the same wayside cross, but the one shown in post three of the companion thread - on the front of the pamphlet dated August 1916 - looks like the one in post 9 above. Also assuming that the pamphlet was published in August 1916 - rather than some time afterwards - this suggests that the cross had been built by August 1916.

In the absence of any further information from GWF members, the best way is to check with contemporary copies of the Hampshire Chronicle.

(Or perhaps I'm missing something?)

Moonraker

From The Times, October 24, 1916:

post-6017-0-74981700-1425503390_thumb.jp

The pamphlet referred to would appear to be that shown in post 3 of the other thread.

(Of course it could be argued that just because a drawing of the cross is shown on a pamphlet dated August 1916 it doesn't follow that the actual cross had been built by then - the drawing could have shown the proposed cross.)

Another photograph of the camp is

here

Moonraker

Thank you for your response and the material. Yes my argument or discussion is exactly that the cross was not erected at the time of the 30 Jul 1916 Memorial Service and that the cross illustrated in the “Hazeley Down Camp - Memorial Number - August 1916” pamphlet is a proposal for a cross to be erected at a later date. I offer the following in support of this theory for consideration.

I have a photocopy of the “Hazeley Down Camp - Memorial Number - August 1916” pamphlet, which details the events of the Memorial Service held on 30 July 1916 at the camp. The pamphlet confirms that it had been decided to allocate part of the memorial service fund to finance a “more permanent memorial in the form of a wayside cross”. The drawing of the cross on the front cover is reproduced at the back of the pamphlet and is described as “how the Cross will look”. Also there are a number of photographs in the pamphlet of the outside memorial service, including the “field” alter, but none of the cross.

The 30 Jul 1616 Memorial Service commemorated the men from four Battalions of the London Regiments; 13th, 15th, 16th and 20th. The inscription on the erected cross commemorates six Battalions with the addition of the 14th and 17th. It could be argued that these Battalions may have been added at a later date, but this is unlikely, as on the inscription the numbers run consecutively. The date on the cross of 1916 -17 coincides with the years that the London Regiments were at Hazeley and would suggest the earliest date for erecting of the cross as 1917.

The contemporary Hampshire Chronicle article for the 30 Jul 1616 Memorial Service event is, unfortunately, of no help as it consist of the text contained in the “Hazeley Down Camp - Memorial Number - August 1916” pamphlet. During my research of the Hampshire Chronicle records for 1914 – 18, I don’t recall seeing a reference as to when the cross was erected

However in a full account of the part Winchester played in the Great War, published in the Hampshire Chronicle on 28 Dec 1918, mention is made of the wayside cross at Hazeley but the wording suggests the cross had not been erected at the time the article was published. See extract from the article below:

“The London men became very attached to Hazeley Down - Cardiff men painted white blocks, a record of their occupation, and the Londoners went as far as to prepare the design for a wayside cross, which they contemplated erecting on a piece of land which the owner (Mr. J.T. Best) was prepared to give them for the purpose”.

If the wording in the above article is correct, it would suggest a post 1918 date for the erection of the cross.

If a GWF member has come across a reference, for the date the cross was erected, I would be pleased to hear from them. I’m hoping that someone researching the London Regiments, and who has access to journals for the London Regiments, may have come across a reference in one of the journals. In the meantime I will endeavour to search the Hampshire Chronicle records for post 1918.

Patrick Craze

• 6 years later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party but iv just been going through family tree things, my great gandfather is responsible for designing this memorial and he served as a 2nd lt in the Tank Corps after transferring from the Queens westminster rifles.

Steven Broomfield
3 hours ago, felix said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party but iv just been going through family tree things, my great gandfather is responsible for designing this memorial and he served as a 2nd lt in the Tank Corps after transferring from the Queens westminster rifles.

Interesting.

First question: what was his name?

Supplementary question: are there any photos or other archive information available? The London Scottish regimental Association is still hopeful of arranging a rededication ceremony at some point in the future (to which, if it takes place, I am sure a descendant would be welcome!)

23 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Interesting.

First question: what was his name?

Supplementary question: are there any photos or other archive information available? The London Scottish regimental Association is still hopeful of arranging a rededication ceremony at some point in the future (to which, if it takes place, I am sure a descendant would be welcome!)

His name was Norman Pristo Keep, he was my mums great grandfather, later became a tutor in architecture and technical drawing and also suffered from PTSD throughout later life. My Grandfather followed him into service in the second world war and was also a teacher. In regards to archive information I will check with the family, I only have a few photos from post war era but I will double check!