Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bilhem Farm Cemetery

Alan_J

There are records at the TNA which suggest that a cemetery by this name existed in or near Trescault (not far from Cambrai) shortly after the war, but it no longer exists today. I wondered whether anyone has ever seen anything in a CWGC register referring to where the graves from this cemetery were removed to - probably early in the 1920s.

Any help or ideas on this appreciated. :)

Thanks

Alan

Just bumping this up in hope.......

Bilhem Farm was captured by 12th KRRC on 24/04/1917. Perhaps a search of SDGW for casualties on that date, cross referenced to CWGC for their current location, might help?

Just a thought !

And a good thought! Thanks for that idea Stephen. Now I need to start another thread asking for a SDGW look up!

Cheers

Alan

alan

SdGW lists 10 men from 12th KRRC died on 25/04/1917. 4 are on Thiepval Memorial, 2 are in Trescault (of only 7 in total) and 1 in fifteen Ravne. 2 died of wounds and may be irrelevant.

peter

Peter,

Thanks for this - I did post the request in another thread as I was not sure that anyone would spot it here. Someone else provided a list of 9 names, of which 5 are commemorated at Thiepval, two are in Trescault Communal Cemetery, one in Bray Military Cemetery and one in Flesquieres Hill Cemetery. I have looked at the details of those cemeteries, and none seemed to be likely candidates for where the graves from Bilhem Farm were concentrated.

However, the description of Fifteen Ravine cemetery makes it a possible: from CWGC "...it was greatly enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from other cemeteries and from the battlefields south-west of Cambrai".

Unfortunately it doesn't list all of those cemeteries concentrated here.

Can you post the name of the soldier you found on SDGW buried at Fifteen Ravine - he doesn't seem to appear on the list posted in the other thread I started)?

Many thanks

Alan

alan

It could be a useful name when searching, 12878 Rfl Alfred Yeoell Kia 23/04/1917.

Peter

Peter,

He died the day before the attack on Bilhem Farm, but from this I still think Fifteen Ravine cemetery is a good candidate for where the graves at Bilhem Farm were moved to.

Thanks

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone wondered........a trip to Kew has solved the question of Bilhem Farm Cemetery. It seems that Bilhem Farm Cemetery was in fact Ribecourt Road Cemetery (which is still there). The 42nd Division applied to put their memorial in the cemetery but the IWGC would not allow it*, so they chose the site where it stands today, a little away from the cemetery on the edge of the village.

Alan

* Despite this policy, the 7th West Yorkshires at Fricourt went through all the right channels to erect their memorial and it is in Fricourt Bray Road Cemetery. I also found the story behind this today!