Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carrying arms on leave?

Tom Kilkenny

Hallo Guy,

Do you mean his British issued pistol, private purchase pistol or war booty German pistols / revolvers etc...????

Kevin :D

Officers were all Private Purchase anyway, but I just wondered what the law said in those days?

Guy

Officers were all Private Purchase anyway, but I just wondered what the law said in those days?

Guy

Guy, :D can you be a little more specific?

"What the law" said (Military or Civil?) about carrying their personal weapons??

Carrying war booty?? :unsure:

Kevin. :D

Guy, :D can you be a little more specific?

"What the law" said (Military or Civil?) about carrying their personal weapons??

Carrying war booty?? :unsure:

Kevin. :D

Was it legal (civil) for an officer to keep his pistol after he was demobbed?

Guy

Hello

I am researching the war memorials of a village. I have a website www.tunsilk.co.uk. There is a picture of one William Noble on leave with his sisters and his rifle. Youll find him in the index of the soldiers who were lost.

regards

David

"...Was it legal (civil) for an officer to keep his pistol after he was demobbed?..."

I believe it was George Orwell who noted that as a child it was possible to buy any firearm short of artillery or machine guns at an iron-monger's; then they introduced the first firearms laws - No sales to convicted criminals or certified lunatics. The matters did not change until after the Great War.

Tom (the Walrus)

Here is a tragic case of a soldier carrying his gun home on leave. For obvious reasons I have covered up the names of the two parties involved,...I wish I had his 'Brief'...he got off with it.

John.

post-5661-1170582961.jpg

Clearly, if an officer is REQUIRED to buy his own side arm to carry government ammunition, it would be inequitable not to own it after the war. Officers, I believe, retained their weapons or sold them off. Not many would have had much wear down the spout.