Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th bn (pioneers) yorks lancs regiment

post-18623-1170017651.jpgpost-18623-1170017685.jpgpost-18623-1170017610.jpgThese are pics of my grandfather Samuel Walker but I do not know which regiment he served in and hope someone can tell me from the collar insignia.Thaks.Martin White

The collar badges are Pioneers, so he was in a regiment with pioneer battalion(s). Can't make out the shoulder titles, but could be Y&L (York and Lancs), which would indicate 7th Battalion

I'm with ya' on the York & Lancs S/Ts Steven

7th (Pioneer) Battn. Raised on 8th Sept. 1914 at Pontefract as an Infantry Battn. Converted to a Pioneer role in March 1915, wearing the usual crossed rifle and pick collar badges (the ones on Samuels collars appear to be crossed rifles or 'marksman' badges?). The Battn. was disbanded at Catterick on 16th May 1919.cheers, Jon :D

I agree re Y and L. Is it me or is that a battalion patch on the upper sleeve of the tunis. Appears to be a cross (stialised pick and rifle perhaps). Also lance corporal stripe. Nice photo.

Regards.

TT

Thanks to all the kind help on this forum I beleive y grandfather served with the Yorks and Lancs 7th Division in WW1. His name was Sam Walker and I beleive he was a lance corporal but know no more than that as he wsa very reticent about his war experience.any help in checking that this info is correct??Martin White

Hi Helios,

this could be the MIC for your Grandfather, you can download it (£3.50) it may contain information on any medals he was entitled to, when and where he joined the war and if he was wounded. Cheers, Jon :D

Hi again Helios just to point out that there were no York & Lancs Battn. in the 7th Division. Your Grandfather was in the 7th Battalion (Pioneers) York & Lancs Regiment which was a Kitchener Infantry Battn. between Sept. 1914 - March 1915. They were attatched to the 17th (Northern) Division, in March 1915 they became a divisional Pioneer Battn. to the 17th.

Look here for info on 17th (Northern) Division

Hope this is of some use, cheers, Jon :D

Thanks to all the kind help on this forum I beleive y grandfather served with the Yorks and Lancs 7th Division in WW1. His name was Sam Walker and I beleive he was a lance corporal but know no more than that as he wsa very reticent about his war experience.any help in checking that this info is correct??Martin White

I have found a 11465 Cpl. S. Walker of A Company 7th Service Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment (Pioneers) who was wounde by shell fire at duty on 19/07/1918,I do hope this is of some help to you,if it is your Grandfather,let me know and I will try and find out where he was wounded.

Joan

Hi there TT,

Sorry to come in late on this topic, my grandadfather served in the 7th Service Battalion(Pioneers) York and Lancaster Regiment and on his upper left arm is the X like badge ,which I have been told from another source is the Pioneers badge. I hope this helps in this matter.

Hopefully I have attached a photo of him showing the patch.

Yours Roger.

• spof changed the title to 7th bn (pioneers) yorks lancs regiment