The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre war cap badges. Maybe Territorials

steve fuller

Hi all

I have no books or know of any site covering the below, so could anyone please point me in the right direction of the info? I am specifically interested in learning more about the cap badges ...

These are from 1910 to 1912 and are NCO's from the Herts, Beds and maybe other (Territorial) regiments. I suspect it was taken after a Summer Camp but have no firm evidence for that so far.

post-1637-1170067578.jpg

Many thanks :)

Hi Steve,

I notice they are wearing the much hated Broderick Caps. This was the final 'Germanic style' uniform item (after a series of helmets with spikes, etc) that did no last long with the regulars, possibly longer with the TF.

Aye

Tom McC

Steve,

Are you sure of the dates?

The Broderick caps make me think that it was pre-1907 (although it would probably have taken a year or so for new kit to filter down to the TF/Volunters).

I can't make out the badges at all for those in Brodericks, the badge gets lost against the 'flash' of facing colour.

Waiting to be corrected.

Tom (the Walrus)

Thanks chaps.

To be honest the year mentioned is based on a postmark on the rear of the postcards so could be any time from 1885!! I suspect it ws post 1904 as the man in question was back in the UK then until his death in 1922.

Very useful thoughts, thanks B)

The NCO @ the back may be wearing a Badge similar to this one,it is somewhat larger than the normal 1880~1919 Cap Badge,{around 2" x 2"} & is{was in this case}enamelled in the centre,it was Gilt with Silver Plated Hert & Title Riband,& as you can see had the usual split pin fixing,I believe it is depicted in K&K in the circa 1880s sections.