Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is Otto Wolter?

stevedrew

Interesting. I have worked a good deal with German death rolls, and have always noted that "sergeant" s only seem to be something like 5-8% of the NCOs. In the English and Yank usage every NCO over the rank of corporal is one of several flavors of sergeant; sargeant, staff sergeant, sergeant first class, first sergeant, battalion first sergeant, etc.

Were sergeants senior NCOs who were not Feldwebel (first sergeant {US} or sergeant-major {Brit}) or Vizefeldwebel (not deputy first sergeant, as it seems to mean, but actually "platoon sergeant"; later in the war they often commanded a platoon or Zug, a Leutnant nowhere to be seen.)

Is that question clear? Was a Sergeant simply a senior Unteroffizier who was not specifically a Feldwebel or Vizefeldwebel, or did he have a specific job or distinction, beyond seniority?

I also noted, at least in the death rolls of the unit that I study the most, that very few Feldwebel were killed in action, much less than their number in the company. I. e., say one Feldwebel to say 10 Vizefeldwebel killed, while I guess that the typical company had one Feldwebel and three Vizefeldwebel, one for each Zug. This to me suggests that the Feldwebel, as the senior company clerk/administrator, did not usually go into combat, at least in the unit that I am studying.

Bob Lembke

Ralph

Negative information I know, but I have been through the rolls of honour of Lehr Infanterie Regiment and Grenadier Regiment 9 and the name Vendis does not appear in either. The search continues!

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Jack

Thank you for checking the rolls of honour for the Grenadier Regiment 9. I would like to search for this man but I don't know where to look.

Myrtle