Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Models

AndrewBelsey

Hello,

I'm new to the Forum and just found out about this side of it. I'm a modelmaker, so my passion is models. I link it in with my family research by making models of them. The firstis of my grandfather and his brother who were in the RGA together. This is a 1/285 scale diorama. The others are of a pair of 1/700 ship models that their brother served on during the Great War. You'll notice that I like working in small scales. (I'm short-sighted and it saves on storage space!)

Andy

Hello Andy !

Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for posting the picture of your model. You definately have an eye for small detail :-)

Hope to see more of you work soon,

Regards

Wayne

I have to agree with the other two Pals that is absolutely marvellous.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Regards

Andy

I take it that at that scale it is scratchbuilt?

Excellent work by the look of it.

I take it that at that scale it is scratchbuilt?

Excellent work by the look of it.

Yes, It is scratchbuilt. Most of it was an brass-etched kit that I drew up on a computer with CAD. Then added lots of little extras in styrene. The barrel was turned on a watchmaker's lathe. There are about 80 different pieces on the gun and I bulit it using two pairs of tweezers. The figures were actually Germans before I converted them.

Thanks for the complements. Regards, Andy

Hello,

I'm new to the Forum and just found out about this side of it. I'm a modelmaker, so my passion is models. I link it in with my family research by making models of them. The firstis of my grandfather and his brother who were in the RGA together. This is a 1/285 scale diorama. The others are of a pair of 1/700 ship models that their brother served on during the Great War. You'll notice that I like working in small scales. (I'm short-sighted and it saves on storage space!)

Andy

Amazing model, can you post a picture of the ships too?

How long does it take to make something like that? It's very impressive.

Cheers

Mark

That's absolutely incredible! The modelling detail is phenomenal. Have you ever shown any of these?

I have the opposite problem with my eyesight and work in larger scales because of it.

Let's see the rest of your work, please!

All the best,

Dan

Thank you all for your compliments. Yes, the gun is scratchbuilt. (Read my reply further up.) I did attach a photo of 2 ships on a different post (models2) but I'll add individual photos here, so you can see the detail. These are 1/700 destroyers that my great uncle served on.

Both these ships are scratchbuilt in polyurathene and styrene, with brass etched details and figures. The 'sea' is made from plaster poured onto crinkled silver foil which was painted and then heavily laquered. They are about 4 1/2ins or 115mm long.

Andy

Nobody likes a smart **** ;)

speaking as someone who has difficulty seeing things that small, never mind making them, I can say that I am very jealous of your skills. Very well done.

andy

Andy,

with modelling skills like that you can be as much of a SSSHSA as you like.

Andy

Without being too technical can you let me know how you made the plaque on the RGA diorama?

I have a few medals and thing that I'd like to put on display with such plaques.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I made the plaque using a half-etch in brass.(Sorry, I've got technical!) I work as a modelmaker for an achitect, so I have access to making my own brass etchings. This would be too expensive for a lot of people to consider, but involves making an accurate drawing usually using CAD (computer aided drawing) which is sent to the etchers. Sorry, perks of my job!

Regards,

Andy