Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ OtgReg

Jarvis

Where were you born? Leeds England [your qoute]

This from the man himself has decided his town of birth for me. I shall now endeavour to try via Leeds as to his origins as regards locally. Many thanks again.

“Discharged in consequence of being no longer physically fit for war service (fractured left fibula)”

“Final discharge: 7.2.1919”

“Died of sickness at 3 Walton St Sydenham 30.11.19 from pneumonia and cardiac failure”

So was this as a result of his wounds? It seems odd to have died of pneumonia in the start of summer, considering he was discharged due to a broken leg.

Captain Dave, many thanks for your point of view...broken leg...Pneumonia/Cardiac Arrest.... yes indeed a strange connection. I have lost a brother-in-law recently to Pneumonia... he didn't have a broken leg .... in these days of modern science and medicine ... why ?

However, maybe we are much more forgiving for the science and medicine of almost a century ago .... what I am trying to say is ... I don't know ....but thanks for an acute sense of perspective .... I tend to think of most deaths just after the Great war as some how connected .... maybe that's how I want to view them (it has an element of bravado or glamour I guess, or maybe it fits in with my research) ..... objective thinking is always a good awakening.

When we consider the 'health' of people 100 years ago it may be easy to 'blame' the bad years of the war, but then again, how about the 'bad' years of people's life's at the turn of the century.

Thank you for the 'awakening'.

Where exactly is Sydenham (geographically speaking) in relation to where harold lived ?

Sydenham was (and still is) a suburb of Christchurch, which is a modest sized City in the South Island. It is one of the older suburbs and hence still contains a lot of wooden villa type houses and cottages. In 1919, it would have been a predominantly working class area, with strong connections to the railways and other associated manufacturing industries.

I used to live nearby Waltham Street when I was at Uni in an old turn of the century villa. It was quite comfortable, and like many older houses, generously equiped with open fireplaces! Having thought about it though, I recall getting the worst chest infection ever one summer while living there, but have no way of knowing if the house and health were connected.

These days it's still a residential area, quite popular as it's close to the CBD and the older houses appeal to many people that like their appeal, although many have been torn down for town houses over the last few decades. The houses, although many were newly built by 1919 were always badly insulated though, so that may be a factor in his illness.

I would be curious to see if the house is still there. Might have to go for a wander in the next week or so and find out.

A trip down memory lane ... and why not.

What I was trying to get at is that many people in England probably died of 'ill health' due to the nature of life and all it's glories 100 years ago, not necessarily the war.

Maybe true of NZ too, although us brits tend to think of the new world(s) of old as fresh and healthy and hearty. (Perhaps it's just my way of thinking, but it certainly seems more desirable than the thick end of Industrial Revo(Po)llution.) I appreciate your input Captain Dave.

Sorry for my wanderings, I realise now that Harold did not live in Sydenham, probably died in Hospital there though ?

I don't know, the death statement seems to imply that he actualy died in the house.

I am sorry for missing the obvious “Died of sickness at 3 Walton St Sydenham 30.11.19 from pneumonia and cardiac failure”

The day has been long and perhaps the whiskey/coffee is now kicking in.

My last cogniance of his whereabouts in NZ, before his 'sign up' was -

'Nukumaru.Which apparently is in the Wanganui district.'

Obviously, upon his return from the war, he has 'moved' to the suburbs - my conjecture at this point (with no proof other than his place of death), whereas, prior to this he was labouring in the countryside.

Perhaps another indication of ill health ?

Just one more thought Captain Dave - you supplied me with a photograph of the grave of Harold Percy Dixon.

There were flowers on the graveside and I wondered if you had placed them before the photograph was taken ?

It's a nice touch and thank you.

Yes, probably an indication of ill health that he moved the the city, and away from the agricultural sector. And yes, we took some flowers from the garden for his grave. I wondered when the last time was that his grave had seen any.

Actually, that move, from Wanganui Hospital to Sydenham Christchurch, is strange. It's in the other island and has no obvious connection with Wanganui or Nukumaru.

Dave, Could you find out who was living at 3 Walton St in 1919? It should be in the Wises Directory for Christchurch.

I went for a wander yesterday to see if the house was still there, but it has gone, and a shopping centre now sits there. The houses on the street start at about number 15, the rest have been replaced.

Also, I assume that the cause of death pneumonia and cardiac failure was actually the 1918 influenza?

One of the worst effects of the influenza was on the lungs, which could lead to pneumonia, and more often than not, death. Infected patients found it hard to breathe, and often there was not enough oxygen in their blood. Because of this some of the victims turned a purple-black in colour after they died.

http://library.christchurch.org.nz/kids/nz...nzaepidemic.asp