The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History of the Queen's Bays (the 2nd Dragoon Guards) 1685-1929

wilkokcl

I've seen reference to someone I'm researching in this book - published 1930 I think.

Does anyone have a copy of this who would be willing to do a lookup for me?

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Koyli - I thought someone would have it!

I'm after references to R. Claudet.

Google books picks up a reference to him in the book but there is a restricted view so I can't give the exact page number. I'm hoping there might be an index of names at the back to narrow it down a bit.

Thanks for the offer,

Mark

Hi mark,

" The Regimental history gives some further details of this raid, which took place in the early hours of the night of March 9 to 10. It was led by Major Stewart richardson, M.C of the Bays, with the headquarters of the Regiment. The Raiding Force was made up of three parties:

'A' : Lt Tattersal, 5th Dragoon guards, with 15 picked men, as a wire-cutting party.

'B' : Capt Sutherland, and Second Lt Claudet, with 70 other ranks of the Queen's bays.

'C' : Capt Pelham, M.C., and 70 other ranks 11 Hussars, with covering parties of 80 other ranks, 5th Dragoon Guards.

The raiders moved out at 9.20 pm, and found 'Eleven Trees' held by a small party of the enemly. Lt Miles, 5th Dragoon Guards, attacked the post, taking two of the enemy prisoners; the rest were killed. The raiders then advanced up to the enemy wire, covered by a barrage. Two bangalore torpedoes were fired, but failed to do any serious damage to the wire. The raiders threw some bombs over it, but could not get forward as they were now under an intense machine-gun fire. The attempt was therefore abandoned, and the raiders came back, bringing their wounded and the prisoners. The losses were Lts Miles and Tattersall(5th Dragoon Guards) wounded; and of the other ranks :

Queen's bays : 3 killed, 17 wounded.

5th dragoon Guards : 2 killed, 5 wounded.

11th Hussars: 1 killed, 6 wounded.

(The front line held was North of St quentin. In the area of Vendelles. Twelve trees was a forward enemy post, so called because of a clump in the neigbourhood.)

If you should be interested in more detail of the raid, I can type out the details in the 11th Hussars Regt History. About 2 pages of it. Let me know and give me some time.)

Regards.

Koyli

Koyli,

That's tremendous information - thanks for typing it up for me. I'd love to see the regimental history you mention and am prepared to be very patient!

Where was the raid and was it in 1918?

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, The raid happened on March 8th 1918.

Below is a map of the area.

post-827-1180084336.jpg

More to follow....

KOYLI

Have scanned the relevant pages of the 11th Hussars History. There are 5 pages so I didn't feel ready to type them all out.

post-827-1180085617.jpg