Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auxiliary Division, Royal Irish Constabulary

PhilB

If anyone is doing any research on the Black and Tans and the Auxies and they come across any reference to my grandfather, Arthur Trim, ex marine, actually in the ballot for a VC after Zeebrugge I would be most interested. Family believe he served in one or another after he had been wounded in Murmansk in 1919.

Len

Len, I don't know of an Arthur Trim but there was an Edward J Trim; probably an English recruit to the RIC. However there is still a chance that he joined the ADRIC without his name appearing on the General Register, it will be a case of trawling through the Auxiliary Register. I'll try and remember to look for the name next time I go through the microfilms.

The Black and Tans were ex servicemen, mainly ORs who joined the regular police. They were entilted to pensions. The ADRIC were an auxiliary formation but they men were ranked with RIC officer cadets. ... there is a Home Office file at the NA which details those who joined and at least one academci article has been written on the subject. Many ADRIC went on to Palestinetothe Palestine Gendarmerie

Greg

Greg

Do you have the reference for this file by any chance?

Patrick

Len, I don't know of an Arthur Trim but there was an Edward J Trim; probably an English recruit to the RIC. However there is still a chance that he joined the ADRIC without his name appearing on the General Register, it will be a case of trawling through the Auxiliary Register. I'll try and remember to look for the name next time I go through the microfilms.

Thanks Peter that would be much appreciated.

Len

Thought you chaps should see this link, it contains details of the R.IC men killed whilst on duty - http://www.policememorial.org.uk/

I know that the Trust is always interested to hear from anyone with information about former police officers (RIC included).

I have a man from Wye who was killed in the Kilmichael Ambush (Cadet James Chubb GLEAVE). I gave the trust his service papers.

Neil

• 9 months later...