Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rosslyn Lodge and New End

Trenchrat

Hi,

I would like to find out more about New End Military Hospital and the Auxillery Military Hospital located at Rosslyn Lodge. I know that Rosslyn Lodge was located in Hampstead,but what about New End? Can anyone tell me when these locations were used as Hospitals? Any help would be appreciated.

John

New End Hospital was originally a Poor Law workhouse infirmary administered by the Hampstead Board of Guardians, and used as a military hospital during the Great War. Google for 'New End Hospital Hampstead' and you'll get masses of hits, including a photograph or two. It seems to have been converted to housing now, but all surviving records are held by the Royal Free Hospital Archives - doesn't seem to be much surviving for 1914-18, which is par for the course. Links to the Archives also come up easily on the Google search.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Once again many thanks for your help. I'll do a google search like you suggest. In Winifred's album the New End photos date from 1915. They're interesting as they show several Australian patients. These men were most likely wounded at Gallipoli I feel. Hopefully BRCS has a record of Winifred and we'll see if she was a nurse there at that time.

John

• 8 years later...

My ancestor, Charles Henry Bush served with the RAMC and was stationed at New End Military Hospital. He had been out in France during 1914 at No 9 general Hospital and was posted back to England 23rd Dec 1914, He was stationed there for the rest of the war. I would be interested to hear any info about the hospital / patients etc. and I hope this post is of interest to you. Charles had an elder brother who also served in the RAMC who was killed in Gallipoli.

Tony

New End Hospital was flourishing in 1961. I was taken there after an accident and there were several wards and ancillary departments