Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oh What a Lovely War

Jan Nix

I always feel slightly left out when this play is mentioned on the forum, as I've never seen it. Hope to put that right next month when it's being performed at Hinckley's Concordia Theatre, February 19-24. According to the write up it is an "exhilarating expose of an unforgettable moment in history ..... a vibrant and touching account of the four years that shaped the 20th century" We'll see.

Details here for anyone else interested.

You are a brave person Jan. You will either get studiously ignored, or reminded that OWALW is historically inaccurate, unkind to the British High Command, a Left Wing diatribe etc... I've sung in, played music for, and directed OWALW in my career as a musician, and whatever one thinks about the position of the play in the overall canon of GW related art - it is undeniably a wonderful piece of theatre, and is almost flameproof in that it is almost impossible to perform it badly. Go and see it if you are anywhere near!!

Jan,

I hope that you enjoy it., I know that it's not everyones cup of tea on this forum.

Several year's age we saw it preformed by the National Threatre in a marquee at Tidworth in a

thunderstorm which made it very atmospheric.

Prior to seeing it my wife had no interest in the Great War, now we are seasoned travellers with two

tours booked this year.

So I am grateful in a small way for the show.

Malcolm

Having seen the movie and loved it years ago I was very happy to finally own the dvd that finally was available here in North America late 2006. I have also seen the authorized playscript published in the early 1960s for this play and I found this script quite impressive. I hope you enjoy both the play and the movie as each as something to offer as per insights or stimulating thinking about what the First World War means to you personally. It is almost not even important what the intended messages were originally of the play or the movie: just that they remind us of this seminal event of history and the emotional and psychological costs of the war - aptly suited to cultural interpertations rather than academic history.

John

Toronto

I always feel slightly left out when this play is mentioned on the forum, as I've never seen it. Hope to put that right next month when it's being performed at Hinckley's Concordia Theatre, February 19-24. According to the write up it is an "exhilarating expose of an unforgettable moment in history ..... a vibrant and touching account of the four years that shaped the 20th century" We'll see.

Details here for anyone else interested.

Hi Jan,

I am really envious of you.

Firstly, I have never seen this show but whatever the critics may say about it, I am sure that it is worth seeing. After all, this kind of production should not been seen as anything more than an artistic impression of the First World War.

Secondly, the Concordia is a wonderful intimate little theatre where I have seen several musicals and plays myself, the last one being ‘Cabaret’ about ten years ago. I live in Holland and was visiting some friends of mine who are active in that same theatre and my mate was playing in the ‘pit orchestra’ on the night.

I have fond memories of Hinckley and the Concordia where I played many times as musician for concerts or musicals before moving over here.

I hope that you thoroughly enjoy the show.

Tony

Tickets are booked and we're off to see the show next month. Even 17 year old son is tagging along. Thank you all for the thoughtful and encouraging replies. I'm now looking forward to it more than ever.

Tony, pleased to have revived happy memories for you. This will be my first visit to the Concordia.

Kind regards

Jan