Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Devons' Officers - 1914

Nick Thornicroft

I have recently acquired a regimental photo album of the 2nd Devons in Egypt, taken during 1914 before the men returned to Europe. Named officers are:

2/Lt. G.C. Vaughan

Capt. J.F.A. Kane

Lt. G. Palmer (Qr. Mr.)

Capt. C.J. Spencer

Lt. J.R. Cartright

Lt. F.J.C. Holdsworth

Lt. A.G.A. Belfield

J.A. Park (rank not specified)

Lt. O.M. Parker

Lt. F.R. Cobb

Capt. A.J.E. Sunderland

Lt. R.B. Featherstone

2/Lt. A.H. Cope

2/Lt. R.P. Bates

Lt. R.O. Bristowe

Capt. G.I. Watts

Capt. W.M. Goodwyn

Major J.F. Radcliffe, DSO

Lt.-Col. J.O. Travers, DSO

Capt. J.D. Ingles, Adjutant

Capt. D.H. Blunt

Capt. C.A. Lafone

2/Lt. H.J.H. Cox

The photo is too large to put up on the Forum, but if you need an image of an individual, I'll see what I can do

• 2 months later...

post-6886-1176633850.jpg

Jim

Here is Capt. C.A. Lafone, 2nd Devons, as requested via PM. If you require a sharper image, I'll send one in the post.

Regards

Nick

Nick,

I don't know if it is this battalion that you are specifically interested in or that you just happen to have the photograph.

I am interested in a Capt JA Fergusson MC of that battalion. I would love to locate a photograph of him.

thanks

Julian

Julian

I don't have a photo of Capt. Ferguson, I'm afraid. Nothing in the Official History of the Devons except for a drawing of the last stand at Bois-des-Buttes on May 27th, 1918, when he was taken prisoner.

Nick

Thanks anyway. I've looked through the history (? by Atkinson ??) and found mention of his MC and his capture - I have a pc from him in pow camp. He 'continued to serve' so no file at Kew !

Gents;

Hopefully (despite the awful decsion to take our own historical artifacts out of Devon) they will still have material in the old regimental archives of the Devons; when I used to visit, they had box-loads on old officers, pre-war soldiers, etc, all haphazardly kept but easily accessible..including many files relatig to Bois-des-Buttes...it used to be RHQ Devon & Dorset Regt, but dunno who is there now! Try Regimental HQ (Archives), The Rifles, Wyvern Barracks, Exeter, Devon

• 1 year later...

post-6886-1215525432.jpg

In response to a PM, Capt. J.F.A. Kane is top right & Capt. G.I. Watts is bottom left. The original image is slightly blurred, hence the poor quality. I can try & get a better individual image of each if you cannot identify them.

Nick

• 13 years later...

Hi Nick

Do you still have this photo? If so could I email you for a copy? I have just acquired the medals to Captain W.M. Goodwyn

Regards

Rory

Hi Rory,

As I have the same photo album as the OP, here is a crop with WM Goodwyn to centre. PM me with your e-mail address if you’d like the full group image. The blurring is on and from my original copy unfortunately. 

Mike

ACBF090A-AFB4-4275-B80D-7CA0E18FD7B3.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank