The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Dragoon Guards

Hambo

I have the following on:-

Captain Edgar Ralph Coles

3rd (Prince of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards

Killed in action on the 12th of May 1915 aged 25

He was born on the 13th of May 1889 the son of Ernest Henry and Adela Caroline Coles of “Arnolds”, Holmwood, Dorking, Surrey. He was educated at Hazelwood School and Marlborough College from January 1903 to December 1906 and achieved a Batchelor of Arts at Magdalene College Oxford in 1910.

He entered the 3rd Dragoon Guards as a university candidate in August 1910, his commission as 2nd Lieutenant being antedated to February 1910. He was promoted to Lieutenant in March 1911 and Captain in November 1914. In August 1914 his regiment was serving in Cairo but shortly after war was declared it was ordered to France. He was mentioned in Sir John French’s despatches of the 14th of January 1915.

Commemorated on the Menin Gate Panel 3

Would anyone have any information on what the regiment was doing that day or the circumstances of his death? Any information will be gratefully received

Many thanks Hambo

Hambo

This unit was in the 6 Cavalry Brigade of 3 Cavalry Division. The date of your subject's death was during 2nd Ypres April to May 1915. The 12 May coincides with the Battle of Frezenburg (8 to 13 May) which your unit was shown as participating in. See:

http://www.1914-1918.net/3cavdiv.htm, and

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat10.htm

for more general information.

Sotonmate

Hambo

War Diary at the NA is WO95/1153 covering period 10/1914 to 1/1919. May be downloadable.

Sotonmate

This period of the 2nd battle of Ypres was one in which the 6th Cavalry Brigade (in which the 3rd Dragoon Guards served alongside the 10th Hussars) suffered grieviously. The links mentioned above should provide you with the neccessary details.

Hambo

Captain Coles 3 Dragoons KIA 12.5.1915.

WO95/1153 states he was killed at BOESEGHEM :

"At 0800 took over trenches from Shropshires,Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and Irish Fusiliers. At about 11p.m. Captain Coles reported killed by a rifle bullet in the abdomen while going around his squadron trenches.."

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hambo

Forgot to mention I have a digipic of the relevant page of the War Diary. Will send it when I have processed all the pics on it shortly.

Sotonmate

Fantastic! I'll look forward to that

Thanks very much, great to find he gets a mention

• 5 years later...

Have just joined as I was looking for information on 3rd Dragoon Guards, as that is where my paternal grandfather served.

I happened to notice a photo of Edgar Ralph Coles on "Great Britain, Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificates, 1910-1950" available on Ancestry. If you don't have this or access to Ancestry, I'll be happy to send the image to you if you provide your e-mail address. I don't want to just upload it here, as I'm not sure if there might be copyright issues.