Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Rew. D.A.M.P

Black Jock

I'm researching my local Roll of Honour, the roll includes all who served with no numbers, ranks etc., regiments are listed, one person has me puzzled. He is William Rew, of Well St., Monifieth and under the regiment / unit the initials D.A.M.P. Can anyone help. I'm aware of Wn Rew, Naval Divisionon the CWGC site. I have been advised that the answer to my quest is a Naval one, can anyone please help.

Tom

Hello Tom,

I think that D.A.M.P should read D.A.M.S (Defensively Armed Merchant Ships). See

However, either way it is not correct. The only REW I can find that died naval in serice is:

REW, WILLIAM, A.B., RNVR, CLYDE Z 4704, HOWE BN. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 26/04/1917, France, DIED OF WOUNDS.

It is possible that at some time time during his service he was posted as to a ship to serve as a gunner, and this led to the error.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

David

Hello Tom,

I think that D.A.M.P should read D.A.M.S (Defensively Armed Merchant Ships). See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...092&hl=DAMS.

However, either way it is not correct. The only REW I can find that died naval in serice is:

REW, WILLIAM, A.B., RNVR, CLYDE Z 4704, HOWE BN. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 26/04/1917, France, DIED OF WOUNDS.

It is possible that at some time time during his service he was posted as to a ship to serve as a gunner, and this led to the error.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

David

This William Rew spent his entire service in the RND and did not serve in DAMS (or at sea at all). His father lived in Stanley, Perthshire and he gave this as his home address.

Hello

OK - this is a shot in the dark, but wondering if D.A.M.P. isn't Divisional "A?" Military Police?

All best

don

Hello

OK - this is a shot in the dark, but wondering if D.A.M.P. isn't Divisional "A?" Military Police?

All best

don

Don,

Thanks for that. I'll check it out

Tom