Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MAJOR J . H . HALL .

steve140968

Hi , Can anybody please help me with any information regarding Major J . H . Hall . I understand that he was the commanding officer for the 16th Middlesex but any information would be a great help , thanks .

Steve . ;)

Medal card of Hall, John Hamilton

Corps Regiment No Rank

16th Battalion Middlesex Regiment Major

16th Battalion Middlesex Regiment Temporary Lieutenant Colonel

16th Battalion Middlesex Regiment Lieutenant Colonel Temporary Brigadier General

16th Battalion Middlesex Regiment Brigadier General

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=5

Who's Who :

HALL, Brig.-General; John Hamilton (b. Broadstone, Dorset 23 February 1871 - d. 12 April 1953)

CMG 1918; DSO 1916; retired list, 1925;

unmarried; son of late Major John Greive Hall, RE, and Agnes Robertson, Edinburgh. Education: Fettes College, Edinburgh; Sandhurst. Work: Second Lt Middlesex Regt 1891; Lt-Col 1916; temp. Brig.-Gen. 1918-1919; Col 1921; Staff Services; Ass. Provost Marshal; Staff Capt., DAQMG and DAAG South Africa, from 1902 to 1907; Assist Inspector of Recruiting, Eastern Command, 1913-1914; in charge of Record Office, Lichfield, 1921-1925; served South Africa (medal, 4 clasps); European War, 1914-1918 (DSO, one bar, despatches four times, CMG). Address: Otterburn, Broadstone, Dorset.

Also:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/cont...ayer/29326.html

DSO:

LG 26-9-1916

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) John Hamilton Hall, Midd'x R.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his battalion to consolidate a mine crater in the enemy's front line. In spite of very heavy casualties, he conducted the operation with the greatest determination, and succeeded in holding his position all day.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Bar to DSO:

LG 18-6-1917

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) John Hamilton Hall, D.S.O., Midd'x R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his battalion. His initiative and good leading and the determined way in which he pressed the attack of his battalion home greatly contributed to the success of the operations. The high moral of his battalion and its fine spirit in attacking qualities are greatly due to his personal efforts.

(D..S.O. Gazetted 26th September, 1916.)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

CMG

LG 1-1-1918

Order of Crown of Roumania

LG 20-9-1919

Steve.

Steve (stebie)

Imust comment that you are slipping!

Your post took a full twelve minutes to research, type and post. :o

Do you have no standards left? :D

regards

Mel

:D WOW , thanks Steve , this is an enourmous help . Very , Very interesting about the cricket . I see he was born in India which is very interesting by the fact that he is the second soldier i've started to research from the 16th , the other having been born in south america , was this usual for some officers to have been born abroad or is this just a coincidence ? Thanks again Steve .

Steve .

From research so far into the 6th Northamptonshire Regiment, of those identified:

India : 3

South Africa : 1

Hong Kong : 1

Britain : Approx. 40

Unusual, but perhaps more common in a London area battalion than a Provincial one.

Steve.

Do you have no standards left? :D

Of, course....

That will be 50p please...

E'nin Standard. Git your E'nin Stannit! :D

Steve.

(with apologies to Eric Morecambe...)

Steve

This is from the Fettes College Register - don't think it really adds anything extra:

Fettes College Register (1884 Entrants)

Hall, John Hamilton, Col. (S), Feb 1871; elder son of Major J. G. Hall, R.E.; VIb: S.P.: XV; XI; left July 1890. R.M.C. 1890; 2nd Lt. Midd’x R. 1891; Lt 1892; Capt. 1900; Boer War 1901-2; medal with four clasps; A.P.M. Natal 1902; D.A.Q.M.G. Natal 1903-4; Staff Capt., Harrismith, Orange River Colony 1904-7; Major 1908; Great War 1914-18; Lt-Col 1916; D.S.O. 1916; and bar 1917; C.M.G. 1918; Commdr. ‘Crown of Roumania’ 1918; Brig-Gen 1918-19; Col 1920; desp. four times. Otterburn, Broadstone, Dorset; or c/o Lloyds Bank, 6, Pall Mall, SW1

O'Moore Creagh gives:

2nd Lt 7.11.91; Lt 16.9.92; Capt 14.3.00; Major 17.2.08; Lt-Col 28.9.16; Col 23.9.20

DSO for gallantry at Beaumont Hamel on 1.7.16. bar for gallantry at Heudecourt.

Pam

;) Thanks Paul , i do not have a photo of him . It's funny how you have in your mindset an image of somebody mine of the major is of a stockey gent with a booming voice although i'm probably a long way off . I have read the history of the 16th by H.W.Wallis but was unaware that the major wrote the battalion history , is it still possible to get a copy of this Paul ?? Many thanks , Steve .

;) Thanks Steve , quite interesting . The birthplace and the fact that he was a military medal winner was the reason that i started researching my first man who was Sgt George Murray Clarke - a very interesting story . Thanks again , Steve .

;) Thanks Pam , lots of useful information . Would i be right in thinking that Fettes college is / was in Edinburgh ?? Cheers , Steve .

;) Thanks Paul , i do not have a photo of him . It's funny how you have in your mindset an image of somebody mine of the major is of a stockey gent with a booming voice although i'm probably a long way off . I have read the history of the 16th by H.W.Wallis but was unaware that the major wrote the battalion history , is it still possible to get a copy of this Paul ?? Many thanks , Steve .

Hi Steve - a veteran I knew who served with Hamilton Hall in the 20s stated that the history was written by him, although it bore the other man's name. I have no idea how true that is.

I have a picture somewhere, which I will post if I can find it.

;) Many thanks Paul , Steve .