The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown DCLI ? Officer

montbrehain

Visited a mate at the weekend, He showed me a cigar tin he had bought at a local "bootsale". among the photos in the tin were these pics. And a recipt that may or may not relate ? I think the officer was in the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry ? But when he was an officer cadet (white hat band) he was in the Royal Fusiliers ? Any thoughts or can you help ? cheers

post-13272-1169753683.jpgpost-13272-1169753668.jpg

does this help or is this for him ?

post-13272-1169753902.jpg

Hmmm....

Medal card of Bennett, Charles Victor

Corps Regiment No Rank

19th Royal Fusiliers 6188 Private

Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Lieutenant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4

There are 9 Charles Victor Bennetts on the Birth Register list on Ancestry. 8 of those lie within the timeframe for this young officer, of which 3 died before WW1.

Although only a guess, this one stands out:

Charles Victor Bennett 1897 Jul-Aug-Sep St Austell Cornwall

1901 Census

Name: Charles Victor Bennett

Estimated birth year: abt 1898

Relation: Son

Mother's name: Mary Louisa

Where born: Treverbyn, Cornwall, England

Civil parish: Fowey

Ecclesiastical parish: St Fimbarras

County/Island: Cornwall

Street address: 4 Albert Terrace.

Registration district: St Austell

Sub-registration district: Fowey

ED, institution, or vessel: 1

Household schedule number: 8

Household Members: Name Age

Charles Victor Bennett 3

Mary Louisa Bennett 38 (living on own means, born Dudley, Worcestershire)

Rose Marion Lee 22 (Domestic servant)

Steve.

I reckon that could be our man !!!

cheers and thank you very much for that . Sometimes I think its a shame that part of somebodys life ends up at a junk sale ? But my friend now has the details of Charles Bennett and He will no doubt write the name on the back of the photos and keep the paperwork and information that you have so kindly found . And so the next generation of collectors and interested people will have one less mystery to solve, thanks once again "MO"

• 4 months later...
cheers and thank you very much for that . Sometimes I think its a shame that part of somebodys life ends up at a junk sale ? But my friend now has the details of Charles Bennett and He will no doubt write the name on the back of the photos and keep the paperwork and information that you have so kindly found . And so the next generation of collectors and interested people will have one less mystery to solve, thanks once again "MO"

I have now joined the medal forum in reply to this which is of specific interest to myself.2nd Lieut C V Bennett was commissined into the DCLI on 26.9.1916.he went to France shorlty after as he is with the 6th DCLI by January 1917.He was gassed in October 1917 and was a Cornishman having an aunt at Liskeard at the time.

The last 15 years I have researched the 6th DCLI collecting medals and any photos articles and ploughing through the local newspapers ..this is because my greatgrandfather served in the 6th DCLI and would have gone to France at the same time as C V Bennett...he was 26375 Pte T C Pearce ..he was from Penryn Cornwall and was killed in action 0n 9.4.17 .I am wondering if I am looking at a photo of an officer who knew my greatgrandfather ...2nd Lieut Bennett would have been in action at Arras...or could he have even been my gt grandfathers officer?Its a connection in time..the photo of him with cap on in DCLI uniform sees to match my greatgrandathers ..ie they could have been taken in france at the same time and place.

Its good to put a face to one of those men there at the same time

many thanks for sharing this Dave