Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier died in Hospital Sanchylisten

DavidMillichope

I've just received the death certificate for my Gt Uncle Robert Henry Millichope of the 1st Bn KSLI and his place of death is given as

HOSPITAL SANCHYLISTEN.

Does anyone know where this might be ?

I've tried various searches both here and on Google maps but with little luck ( although the word SANCHY seems to pop up in Cologne.)

Some background information:-

He was in defensive action on March 21st 1918 (Operation Michel) just west of Camrai, although his date of death is 15/5/18.

He is buried in Ontario Cememetery Sains-les-Marquion, near Cambrai. The cemetry description says how it is filled with Commonwealth soldiers retrieved from german cemeteries in the area. My working hypothesis is that he was taken prisoner on March 21st and died later as a POW.

Many thanks for any help.

That sounds like it.

After so many examples of bad transcriptions with census forms and my family history, my hunch was that it was a corruption or abbreviation. I was hoping that someone would spot it for what it was.

Many thanks.

Now another question which would benefit from experience :-

His cause of death is "Concussion, Brain".

Calling on the usual ways that "causes of death" were recorded for WW1 what does this suggest ? I'm fairly certain he became a POW on March 21st, so my cynical gut instinct is that someone ( a guard ?) has taken a rifle butt to him. Or is it simply a head wound ( maybe caused by a shell ?) taken on March 21st that he subsequently dies of 7 weeks later.

Edit : I've just checked the description of Ontario cemetery and the sources of the UK soldiers buried there.

It includes :-

"Sauchy-Lestree Communal Cemetery German Extension contained the graves of 23 prisoners of war from the United Kingdom and 303 German soldiers."

So now I've found his original burial place !!

This begs a number of questions :-

Was he always in the "hospital" ?

What type of hospital was it likely to be ?

• 11 years later...

Hello.  Your gt uncle is someone I am researching on behalf of the Church Stretton area local history group.  We are putting together biographies for all those recorded on our war memorial.  I have tried to send you a personal message but have been unable to do so.  I would like to share my biography with you to see if there is anything you can add to it.  Janette

Janette 

Welcome!

You have had to have made several posts before you can send a message. Reply to this and try again and it might work.David has not been on the forum since April so you may have to wait for an answer.

• Admin

Janette,

You have to have made two posts before you can send a private message. 

Michelle 

Hi Janette,

If you were to post what you already know about Robert, other forum pals might be able to help fill in a few bits/confirm what you already know. 

Regards

Chris

Thanks for your support and advice.  I will wait to see if I hear from David Millichope even though he hasn't been on for a while and then will think about posting what I have.

Best wishes to you all. Janette

Hi Runjan

I'm a friend of David's, I'll contact him and let him know of your interest in his Gt Uncle

Regards

Rob

45 minutes ago, Runjan said:

Thanks for your support and advice.  I will wait to see if I hear from David Millichope even though he hasn't been on for a while and then will think about posting what I have.

Best wishes to you all. Janette

If you want help why do you have to think about posting info you have? There is nothing worse than spending time trying to help someone and then being told 'I know that'

Hi. I'm David Millichope. I've not been able to access the forum with my original account. I can't find my password and the account is linked to a defunct email so I can't reset it. I'm using this temporary account so I can post to let you know I've seen your post. You can either post here or use the private PM attached to this user name.

Thanks to Rob also for alerting me to your request.

Thanks Rob I would appreciate that.

John Boy- I'm not asking for help from people.  I would like to give David the opportunity to have a look at what I've done and maybe contribute some more personal details of his great uncle other what can be gleaned from records available.  I hadn't wanted to post on the forum but as I've just joined couldn't send a personal message which is what I had tried to do.

Best wishes

Janette

Hi Janette,

Welcome to the GWF. I hope you will find that we flourish when members help each other and sometimes share. it is surprising how much additional information can be discovered once a topic about a man or woman who served opens up.  How much, and indeed whether to share so is of course entirely up to you, but sometimes by sharing you can also help others to learn, and that is something that we do appreciate.

Keith

David

We should be able to merge your accounts. if you report your post, and indicate which user name you want to retain we can sort that. it won't be instant, as we all ahve other lives, but it can be sorted and keeps the GWF structure tidy.

Keith