The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jack Baxter Coulson. 2/5th Lincs

hannah

In July, a Mr Browne asked for information about the above officer. I have only just seen this as I have pretty well lost my interest in WW1 BUT this Officer's death was always a puzzle to me. I had a startling unpublished account from a fellow officer of the injuries which led to his death but the account was uncorroborated.

Are you still there Mr Browne of London!

I would be interested in any further details about 2/Lt J B Coulson's death as I am researching the 46th Division during this period. The 1/5th Lincolns War Diary states:

3rd June

Enemy shelled Bienvillers with 150mm percussion between 0500 and 0600. Casualties: 2/Lt J B Coulson and 2/Lt F R Coulson wounded, 2 ORs killed, 4 ORs wounded.

His personal file has:

2nd Lt Jack Baxter Coulson, 1/5th Lincolnshire Regt., was wounded on 3rd June and died of his wounds at No. 3 Base General Hospital, Le Treport, on 20th June 1916. Born on the 27th February 1894 he was the son of Florence Coulson of 12, The Park, Grimsby and the husband of Dorothy May Coulson of Sussex House, Princes Road, Cleethorpes, whom he married on 19th February 1916. Educated at Malvern College where he was a member of the OTC he left in July 1911 to become a fish merchant. He was attested Private in the 5th Lincolns on the 17th September 1914 and was commissioned into the 1/5th Lincolnshire Regt., on 30th September 1914.

Hello Hannah,

There is a small private memorial to Jack Coulson in St. James church in Grimsby, dedicated by his mother. He actually joined the 10th Lincolns (the Grimsby Chums, No 99) before gaining his commission. F.R. (if I remember correctly) was his brother.

Regards,

Steve.

• 5 years later...

This is his memorial on the family gravestone in Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby.

post-57353-0-34647200-1341945278_thumb.j