Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Hornby's Who Died In The Great War

Martin Hornby

I am attempting to locate details of all the Hornby's who died in the Great War.

At the present time I have located 106 men. However I believe there may be a few more who I am not yet aware of!

I have searched British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and American online archives. I believe there may have been a few South African Hornby's who died. But I am not aware of any online archives relating to South African Soldiers.

I would be grateful for any information members may have regarding any Hornby's they may have run into when conducting research.

Martin Hornby.

:)

Martin

In case you have not obtained this informations.

Sgt W Hornby 3289. 7th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers transf. to (252785) 560th Home Service Employment Coy. Labour Corps Died 3 December 1918 Age 31 Son of William and Elizabeth Hornby, of Salford; husband of B. Hornby, of 9, Gore Hill Terrace, Gardner St., Pendleton, Manchester

560 Company was a Home Serrvice Employment Company stationed at Chester. Unfortunately Home Service Companies did not keep a War Diary so we cannot be certain about their exact role. However I cna tell you that it would be to support a military establishment either an army base or a military hospital.

Martin

You have probably already checked this source but on the Australian War Memorial's website's Roll of Honour database next to a person's name will be an icon of a sheet of paper that you can click on.

This will then bring up the person's details filled in by their next of kin regarding where they were born, lived, previous military training, what school they went to etc.

It can be a very useful tool for researchers, though unfortunately not every Australian soldier who died has such a form.

Regards

Andrew