The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald "Reggie" Read, killed in Shanghai

rogerb40uk

Having had so much help regarding my father's service and medals, I thought I'd at least try to find out something about my uncle, who, my mother told us was killed by the Japanese in Shanghai, whilst a serving soldier(a junior officer).

I have virtually no info about him, so it's a long shot, I know.

He'd have been born in the 1890s, I guess, and his parents(next of kin) were James and Kate Read, of Suffolk, possibly Bury St Edmunds.

That's about it... any ideas, please?

Could this be Reginald John Read died 2.10.42. He was a W.O in the HK RNVR based at HMS Tamar (Hong Kong base) . His name is on the Plymouth Memorial.

Hong Kong fell to the Japanese on Xmas Day 1941. He may have been captured at that time.

CLICK HERE

This is the Hong War Diary Site - he is named

Chris

Unless it's a 'family myth', Uncle Reggie was killed during WWI, in Shanghai.... not being an historian, I have no idea if there was any 'involvement' with the Japanese during that period, but he was, I am sure, killed long before my birth (1940).

My mother was quite bitter about what she perceived as a lack of interest from the WO about one who died in such a faraway corner of the World!

I have seen a photo of Reggie, in uniform, which certainly looked like that of an officer... smart gaberdine breeches, Sam Browne belt etc. (and the obligatory 'military moustache', which my father also sported for much of his life!)

Unless it's a 'family myth', Uncle Reggie was killed during WWI, in Shanghai.... not being an historian, I have no idea if there was any 'involvement' with the Japanese during that period, but he was, I am sure, killed long before my birth (1940).

My mother was quite bitter about what she perceived as a lack of interest from the WO about one who died in such a faraway corner of the World!

I have seen a photo of Reggie, in uniform, which certainly looked like that of an officer... smart gaberdine breeches, Sam Browne belt etc. (and the obligatory 'military moustache', which my father also sported for much of his life!)

Well, Japan was on our side in WW1. So, short of a "friendly fire" incident or drunken fight he is not going to have been killed by the Japanese in WW1.

There was fighting, and bombing, in Shanghai in the 1930s, when the Japanese invaded China. Maybe your uncle was killed then? Are you sure he was military and not a police officer? I believe that the Shanghai police were British back then.

Post the pic, someone might identify his unit from it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the picture, just a clear memory of it!

He was definitely a soldier, not any sort of police officer.

From the way my mother spoke of it, it might have been a 'friendly fire' incident, which might explain the WOs reluctance to give info about it to his family.

There seems to have been something a bit 'murky' about the incident.

There was fighting, and bombing, in Shanghai in the 1930s, when the Japanese invaded China

There was a major 'incident' between the aggressive Japanese and the Chinese at Shanghai in 1929. There were a number of minor incidents throught the 1930s including the Japanese bombing of the city in 1932 which culminated in the Sino-Japanese War of 1937. During this period a British Garrison was in the city to protect British and Foreign interests.

Dave

Unfortunately, I don't have the picture, just a clear memory of it!

He was definitely a soldier, not any sort of police officer.

From the way my mother spoke of it, it might have been a 'friendly fire' incident, which might explain the WOs reluctance to give info about it to his family.

There seems to have been something a bit 'murky' about the incident.

Try searching the CWGC for a R Read killed in WW1. With any luck it will give his next of kin address, and you will recognise it. It is just possible that the story has become distorted over the years:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.a...41&send.y=4

Failing that, he must have been killed in the 1920s or 1930s. Maybe someone knows of a database listing servicemen killed between 1921 and 1939?

Justin

There's a Pte Reginald J. Read, Devonshire Regt, recorded in the GRO War Deaths index as killed in 1944.

Are your relatives, as Beppo suggests, getting the story partly wrong? Is this your uncle?

Jim

PS - he also appears in the CWGC database - not much additional info, unfortunately.

PPS "Maybe someone knows of a database listing servicemen killed between 1921 and 1939?" - Bep, the GRO Army Death Index - I.ve checked it from 1911 to 1940 and he isn't there.

PPS "Maybe someone knows of a database listing servicemen killed between 1921 and 1939?" - Bep, the GRO Army Death Index - I.ve checked it from 1911 to 1940 and he isn't there.

A great uncle killed in the Boxer Rebellion?

Thanks, all, but Reggie was definitely my mother's brother, and died before I was born in 1940.

I am pretty sure it was in Shanghai, definitely China, and I know my mother always cursed "The Japs" for killing him, and "The War Office", for appearing to care so little.

I doubt she would have got much of it wrong... she was not the type!

"Maybe someone knows of a database listing servicemen killed between 1921 and 1939?" - Bep, the GRO Army Death Index - I.ve checked it from 1911 to 1940 and he isn't there.

Is that source online Jim?