Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Titanic Photo: newsvendor Ned Parfett kia 1918

domwalsh

Thanks for all your comments. I quite often pass the spot where the photo was taken and pause for a moment's reflection (even though Oceanic House is now a Mexican restaurant!).

What a moving story. I pass that point on Trafalgar Square from time to time (countless times as a child) and never realised its significance. Now it will always remind me of this poignant story.

Reuben

• 1 month later...

Ned Parfett KIA 29 October 1918 - remembered with pride by his family, who will gather at 12.30 today at St Patrick's Friary, Cornwall Road - the street where he was brought up - for a service in his memory.

• 2 weeks later...

90 years after Ned and his brothers featured in the South London Press, the same newspaper has carried a nice piece on him.

• 11 months later...

Remembering my Great Uncle Ned - 12891 Gnr Edward John Parfett MM, RFA - KIA 29 October 1918 just as he was preparing to head home to Blighty. I never knew him but the photo above my desk of Ned as a newspaper boy reminds me of him every day. Tomorrow his family will remember him with pride.

Dom,

We open up to read many threads not knowing what we will find, every once in awhile a thread grabs the full attention immediately causing everything else to be put on hold until it has been fully read through. As many have said the image of Ned was instantly recognisable and like many other forum pals have also said, Ned ceased to be an image but became a person.

Reading his story and the entire thread was both moving and a privilege, may I please join my thanks to the many you have already received for posting his story.

Ned, you died 91 years ago today but like all who served you will never be forgotten. :poppy:

Dom, very best regards and thanks,

Ian.

Here Here

Thanks for posting this.

In memory of all their sacrifices

regards

Robert

This is one of those threads that starts one's face leaking.

Thanks for posting it.

And thanks to Ned, not forgotten, for the freedom to read the story.

Bruce

I think this thread neatly sums up what this Forum is all about because it is encompasses youth, great events, heroism, sacrifice, unfulfilled potential and ultimately profound sadness. A real alpha and omega tale of the Great War.

It's not a massive sprawling thing but it merits Classic status.

For anyone interested in Neds story, they should read "Famous" by Richard Van Emden, there is a chapter devoted to Ned which makes very interesting reading, as does the rest of the book.

Stuart

My family - including my father Ned (yes, named after his gallant uncle) - are delighted the Titanic newspaper boy's story has gained a wider audience. Richard Van Emden read his story and got in touch via the Forum. His excellent book is a lasting memorial to Ned Parfett, but so - I hope - is the Great War Forum. Long may it last.

Thanks to all for your touching comments.

Dom

I am in the early stages of planning a 'Titanic'-themed tour to Ireland in the next couple of years. I will include Ned's story in the information I give out to the students.

A photograph known the world over. The subject, Ned, a link from one tragedy that changed the Board of Trade regulations to another that changed the face of Europe. This is a great thread that has clearly affected many readers. I will never look at that photograph in the same way again. Requiescat in Pace.

Jim

• 9 months later...

Mark,

Just wondered if you'd made any progress with your Irish tour?

All the best,

Dom

What an excellent tale. Thanks for passing it on to others.

Dominic,

I hope you do not mind me giving him the 'colour treatment'? It was already a ghost-like image and not sharp, so sorry if it is just a general coloured result. But probably the most 'important' picture I have worked on on here....

Ian

Cool pic. How did you do that ? I have a pic i would like to try and give a 'colour treatment' to .

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Was offline last month so not around to bring Forum members' attention to the anniversary of the death of:

12891 Gnr Edward John Parfett RFA - my great uncle Ned - killed 29/10/1918 aged 22 and buried in Verchain military cemetery - known to many of you as the Titanic news vendor.

Remembered with love and gratitude.

Dom

• 11 months later...

I was offline on Saturday on the anniversary of the death of my great uncle Ned - the Titanic newspaper boy - who as an RFA Gunner was killed in France 93 years ago. Remembered by all his family with love and gratitude.