Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Titanic Photo: newsvendor Ned Parfett kia 1918

domwalsh

• 2 months later...

Dominic, you may be interested yo know there is a carboard cutout of your great-uncle, Ned at the enterence to the Titanic section of the Queenstown Story exhibition at Cove\Cobh Co. Cork.

Photo Attached

Thanks for sharing your story

Isadore

post-10504-1178903193.jpg

Wow, thanks for that Isadore. Ned does crop up in the most bizarre places. I have a host of cuttings from newspapers etc of him, including one from the News of the World where they edited out the name of the newspaper! How petty! The nicest picture I have is a framed limited edition photo taken from the original and presented to me by the Hulton Getty collection that owns it, when they read what I'd written. They were chuffed to discover his identity.

Best wishes,

Dom

Dominic,

I hope you do not mind me giving him the 'colour treatment'? It was already a ghost-like image and not sharp, so sorry if it is just a general coloured result. But probably the most 'important' picture I have worked on on here....

Ian

post-7046-1178982239.jpg

I don't mind at all, Ian. Thank you for posting it. It still gets to me when I see how young he looks.

Cheers,

Dom

What a moving and tragic end to such a hopeful looking young fellow.

Thank you for sharing that and the photos. I was deeply moved by the story.

Another very gallant, brave young man.

I very much like the "coloured" photo. Ian has done him proud.

Susan.

• 5 months later...

I will be overseas on the correct date but I wanted to remember the Titanic newspaper boy - 12891 Gnr Edward John Parfett RFA - my great uncle Ned - killed 29/10/1918 aged 22 and buried in Verchain military cemetery. Long dead, but never forgotten.

Not forgotten!

Ian

Edit - any chance the moderators can move this to, say 'Soldiers', or a more appriopriate topic board, to receive the publicity it deserves.

Ian

Ian's right, it should be moved to soldiers to correct my original foolishness. Anyone any idea how to do it?

Dom

Dom - I'm sure the mods will notice, but in case not, perhaps a PM to a member of the moderating team? These fine people are -

Alison Arnold

Andrew Hesketh

cbaker

Chris_Baker

Kate Wills

Matt Dixon

Peter Beckett

Terry Denham

Terry_Reeves

Can I also echo the comments of earlier posters, many thanks for bringing this story to our attention. I'll try and get to Ned's grave sometime in the future to pay my respects...

Regards

Alan

Thanks for that suggestion Alan. I see it has now been done, so very many thanks to the moderator who was kind enough to oblige!

Cheers,

Dom

• 9 months later...

A comprehensive account of my Great Uncle Ned's short life is contained in the fascinating new book by Richard Van Emden and Victor Piuk. The book is called FAMOUS 1914-1918.

Did Richard pick up on this great story via the Forum? I suppose the Forum would be a good port of call for authors looking for a new Great War tale/

Dom

Have just discovered this post, and I must add my thanks to everyone else's. I have been interested in the Titanic for years, but like most of the other posters never stopped to think about Ned's fate. He looks so young in that photo - when I started to read the post I assumed you were going to say he enlisted under-age, as he looks so much younger than 16 in the Titanic picture - and in those days, most boys and young men looked older than their ages, at least through modern eyes, rather than younger.

So very sad - I wonder what he would have thought had he known how famous that picture would become.

Cheers,

Carole.

I believe someone who had seen it on the Forum alerted him to the story.

Remiss of Richard if he is not a member of this Forum!

I last saw him at Smiler Marshall's funeral when he said that he had a bombshell Great War story in hand and was I think trying to get TV interested in it. I don't think this has surfaced yet?

But the Titanic news vendor story certainly deserved a wider audience even if Richard got it as a freebie. Half a dozen such stories and you have your next book.

Dom

What a sad and poignant story. Thank you so much for telling us about him. I will be sure to visit his grave as soon as possible.

Regards

Orson

[Dom

I am new to this forum and came across your story I found it sad but interesting. I have a brother-in-law who lives and sleeps Titanic so will now pass the story to him Thankyou for allowing us to read it janet

Dom,

This is an extraordianry story and one that reminds us all that the men and women that we study all have a back story which is of equal importance to that of their war. Because of the period in history, many forum pals will also have more than just a passing interest in the Titanic story and so many of us will have been familiar with the photo long before your post of it last year. To add a name and a story such as this to that photo is to breathe new life into Ned.

Never forgotten.

Cheers,

Nigel