Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Titanic Photo: newsvendor Ned Parfett kia 1918

domwalsh

What an excellent post Dom. A very moving story. Makes you wonder the fate of the other young chaps in the background of the photo. We shall probably never know!

Dave

What a unique time. Your story combined with that photo seems to condense the era into one life. I have been a rabid afficinado of history for 50 years and any time period is full of drama, interest, fascination. Yet the turn of the last century is so heavy with significance that it is remarkable even by the standards of history. The painful birth of a new era with all its better and worse, with events overrunning and crushing the lives of millions just like your great-uncle.

Wow.... I repeat...WOW!

Thanks again for all your comments, guys. V much appreciated. I hope to be able to add more photos of Ned next week.

Cheers,

Dom

What a sad end for him. I've often looked at the photo and wondered what happened to him. Look forward to seeing more of photos of Ned.

Kate

Hi Mr Walsh,

I live querenaing a small village close to Valencians and Verchain-Maugre is with 1km my village, I am will take in photograph the tomb your great-uncle today.

post-14808-1169929866.jpg

Cedric

Dom,

what an intersesting story. I was particularly interested to see Ned lived in Cornwall Road, my Great Nan's family lived in Stamford Road (the road that Cornwall road cuts across) and her brother got killed at Gallipoli..........wonder if they knew each other? I'm sure somewhre I have ecords of some of my family living in Cornwall Road - small World

Steve

Cedric, thanks for posting his gravestone picture. It's much better quality than the ones I have. I am hoping to visit on the anniversary of his death.

Best wishes,

Dominic

Dominic - I hope you can get out to see his grave in October. I am sure all of us on the Forum would like to stand with you to pay our respects to this gallant young soldier.

We will remember them.

Here is my Great Uncle Ned in uniform. Not a great one, I'm afraid.

Dom

Thanks for posting the photo Dom. He still had about him the look of the young lad in the Titanic photo.

Kate

Good evening Dominic ,

That pleased to me to send to you the photograph of the tomb of your great-uncle, I hope that one will be able to meet at the time of your passage to the English cemetery of Verchain.

Cordially Cedric

Guest KevinEndon

I was hoping to see this grave whilst out there in March. We are staying at Chavasse farm so may well cover the 50 miles just to see it as it's a trully sad but interesting story.

Kevin

A fascinating and poignant story, thankyou for sharing it, and the photographs with us.

Terry W.

Thank you for a great story again as someone with an interest in the titanic and the Great War quite a brilliant and interesting story

Regards Daveo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm keen to post pictures of his medals, but need to compress the jpegs. Anyone got any idea how to do it?

Dom

What a treasure and fantastic family link with historic events - every family historians dream and always as you get closer, I agree, poignant.

Thanks for sharing.

Resizing photos - I use Adobe Photoshop but there are many products, Have a look at This Topic - If all else fails email the photo/s to me via contact email link on either of the websites in my forum signature and I will do them.

Cheers Terry

Edited by TcM59

Dom,

I've seen this picture thousands of times..........You have just brought it to life for me.

Ian.