Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Titanic Photo: newsvendor Ned Parfett kia 1918

domwalsh

The Titanic tragedy was a side interest of mine when I was young, after reading a book by Bob Ballard who found the ship in the mid-80's. I've seen that picture of your great-uncle a hundred times in books. Thank you for sharing his history with us.

EDIT: There is a Titanic museum in Tennessee that is very well done. I usually make it up to that part of the country once every couple of years. The next time I am up there, I'll visit the museum again and see if there are any displays featuring your great-uncle's photograph.

Thanks Fonz, appreciate your thoughts on Remembrance Day when I remember not only Ned, but also my grandfather, Pte James Walsh, who lost a leg in WW1 serving in the Warwickshire Regiment, and my great uncle Sgt Joseph Patrick Walsh, who lost an arm. All in our thoughts

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Remembering with pride my great uncle Ned Parfett - the Titanic newspaper boy - who died in France 29 October 1918 aged just 22.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

100 years ago my great uncle Ned - the Titanic newsboy - was killed in France aged 22 as he was about to go home on leave. He never knew that he had been recommended for the MM. Remembered with huge  pride and affection by his family. 

Titanic-news-boy1.jpg

Ned in uniform.jpg

Ned's death plaque.jpg

Ned Parfett grave.jpg

Ned medals.jpg

What a story... just read it through !! 

He is remembered with pride! 

M.

I have just read through this thread, what an incredible and moving story, a photo we pretty much all know, and now we have got to know him.

Rest in peace Ned, you are not forgotten. :poppy:

Chris

We visited the Titanic Museum in Belfast a few days ago and I thought of Ned.  Sad story...

A poignant story well told Dom. Not forgotten.

Pete.

971686711_CornflowerSmall.JPG.94c62b0b7bb489fe568c473bf897040b.JPG

:poppy:Don't know why I never read this thread before, Dom, but I have now. The day after his 12th birthday my grandfather, John Stemp, was with a school outing on the Isle of Wight when the leacher said, "Look, children! There goes the Titanic."

4 hours ago, domwalsh said:

So that's another connection we have, Jane!

Perhaps a tenuous one; but then, although spider-web is very thin its tensile strength is large :)

By the way, have a gander at The Times this coming Saturday (in The Register section) as I've written a piece about my great uncle Ned.

I may even go and buy a copy :)

Dominic,

Have just read your tribute to Ned in today's Times, nicely done.

Mike.

On 03/11/2018 at 18:16, MikeyH said:

Dominic,

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Copy of my article attached.

For those who have a subscription to The Times, here's link:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ned-parfett-in-memoriam-titanic-newspaper-seller-whofell-in-the-great-war-mjhn7tkpm

Uncle Ned Times 3 Nov 2018.jpg

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:16, MikeyH said:

Indeed. Thanks for putting the article up Dominic. Your article also went down well with a former Times, now freelance & local  journalist (Stuart Flitton) who  commented enthusiastically ''A terrific piece of journalism" in his newspaper review on BBC Surrey Radio on Saturday (3rd Nov)  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06p4y3x  (at appx 2:21:48)

NigelS