Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Titanic Photo: newsvendor Ned Parfett kia 1918

domwalsh

Thanks for bringing Ned to our attention again Dom.

Rest in peace Ned.

Gone but not forgotten :poppy:

Kind regards

Steve

Hello Dom,

Have just accessed this thread and would like to add my thanks to those who have already said how many of us feel. A fiend of mine is a miracle worker on repairing and enhancing old and damaged photos and I'm sure he could do something similar for you. His name is Les Bullock. He isn't a member of the forum but he is a retired career soldier. If you're interested, you can email him on bulz@btopenworld.com. Mention my name (Harry Lofthouse).

Kind regards,

Harry

A really interesting thread.

RIP Ned.

Anthony.

Yes it is great to join the forum and see an old thread roar back into life. I found it a touching story also.

His name lives on in my father (another Edward known to all as Ned), me (second name Edward), and my son Joe (second name Edward). He will not be forgotten - not least thanks to this great forum and its unfailingly generous and warm spirited members.

Hi,

I showed this to my 15 year old daughter, who thought it was a realy moving story.

As has been mentioned before, I've seen this photo many times. its nice to know the story behind the boy.

Thanks for shareing it

Regards

Cam :poppy:

Thanks so much for such an interesting story. I hope that you had a great day celebrating the life of Ned. I am fasicinated with the Titanic and WWI so to have such a wonderful connection is perfect.

Dom

Thanks for sharing your information

post-34757-0-47212000-1320605370.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As a relatively new member, its this type of posting that will keep me coming back to the forum. As a 47yr old I can remember seeing that image on a number of occasions over the years, but to put some 'meat on the bone' as they say, makes for a very moving read. Thanks for sharing.

What a truly touching and compeling topic; thank you for sharing it with us, with your permission I would like to send it to my 10 year old French grandson who is interested in everything connected to Titanic.

Best Regards, Roy

Dom

The fantastic thing about this forum is that today, nearly 100 years on, the names and images of our relatives are spoken and seen in print. The great benefit of the internet is that we can tell the world about these brave men in a way that would have seemed impossible in their lifetime. As you know my investigations into my Great Uncle Fred Scott, killled at Zeebrugge, has led to my meeting cousins that I did not know existed. This is a particularly poignant story and one can only feel great sadness for a man who was so close to getting through the war only for fate to intervene. What life would he have led had he survived? The same can be said for all of the young men who were lost. I am glad to see that you have his medals and the plaque. I often wonder what happened to Fred's medals and plaque.

You're spot on. The forum has brought families past and present to life.

Good luck with Fred's medals - in 30 years of collecting anything and everything to do with Zeebrugge, I've never seen his medals. You never know though!

• 1 month later...

Just found this photo of somebody playing Great Uncle Ned at last year's British Titanic Society convention!

post-1778-0-35524300-1325790226.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dominic - did you ever get a reply to your query on 16 November? I appreciate it is not in the Classic Thread section so assume not but did you refer it directly to the Mods? Please advise as we are talking tomorrow.

As a result of the Costa Concordia tragedy Ned's photo is still being used today (BBC News link).

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Neil, didn't see your post. No I never did get a reply, but it's not a big issue. Cheers, Dom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dom

very interesting story, would like to see a photo of Ned in uniform, there are some many interesting stories around this ship and the people who sailed on it or associated with it

thanks for an interesting post

steve

Dominic

I am not ignoring your post from early February and will discuss with other Admins.

Neil