Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional & Regimental Histories

Chad

I have the following Regimental & Divisional histories if anybody needs any assistance:-

The East Yorkshire Regiment

The West Yorkshire Regiment

Duke of Wellington's Regiment

Twentieth(light) Division

Thirty Fourth Division

62nd (West Riding) Division

Fiftieth Division

Histories of Two Hundred & Fifty-one Divisions of The German Army 1914-1918

de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour Volumes 1 & 2

The Fifth West Yorks

Does anybody have the 49th(West Riding) Division. I am not sure if one was printed?

In return if anybody can assist with looking up any of the following fives names at the PRO to see if their service records exist, then i would be extremely grateful & will reimburse any costs.

Fred Lambert, Driver 72969, "B" Bty. 92nd Bde, Royal Field Artillery died 12/02/1917 aged 41

Charles Edward Harding, Pte. 47290, 12th Bn West Yorks died 03/05/1917 aged 41

Jas. Hawkridge, Pte. 33402, 18th Bn West Yorks, died 05/05/1917 aged 36

Ernest Smith, Corp. R/25077, 18th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corp, died 14/10/1918

Herbert Sutcliffe, Gunner 108053, 220th Siege Bty, Royal Garrison Artillery, died 06/02/1917

Thanks

Chad

I will look in my files for a 49th Div. reference, memory seems to think that one exists. There is a decent WWII book on the 'Polar Bears'.

D battery 245th Brigade RFA produced a unit history.

Does your 62nd Div. history have any refs. to either Otley or Ilkey re: their howitzers?

Try Magnus, L. 1920 'The West Riding Territorials in the Great War' (unknown publisher). Not seen it so if you get a copy let me know.

Also Hughes, Lt.Col. F.K. 'Short History of 49th West Riding and Midland Infantry Division' (unknown date and publisher). This is referenced in Delaforce, P. 2001 'The Polar Bears. Monty's Left Flank; from Normandy to the relief of Holland with the 49th Division' Chancellor Press, London.

Does your 62nd Div. history have any refs. to either Otley or Ilkey re: their howitzers?

Simon R,

Nothing in the index, but i will have a look through over the weekend.

Cheers

Chad

This seems a good idea.

I have the :

9th Division History

51st Highland Division History

The Royal Scots battalions 1914-1918

awaiting the 15th Division History which is on order.

Dittmar and Colledge - British Warships 1914 - 1919

will do look-ups.

Aye

Malcolm

Chad,

The Laurie Magnus book looks like the one to get - details on [url=http://www.abebooks.co.uk

(don't search under 'Magnus, L.' unless you want Russian ballads - search in title for 'the west riding territorials')

£75-£110 but looks the business - forward by Haig apparently.

Simon R,

Thanks for that. Looked them up & they do look the business. I will try Leeds Library first & if they dont have a copy, then looks like a Christmas present to myself.

Cheers

Chad

Chad,

The two towns were howitzer brigades and so are D batteries - D battery 245th Brigade for Ilkley and D battery 246th Brigade for Otley.

Any info. much appreciated

The N&M Reprints indicate on the cover that there is a 49th Div History, though I don't have details of it - I assume it is the volume to which SimonR refers.

Hughes, Lt.Col. F.K.

'Short History of 49th West Riding and Midland Infantry Division'

(unknown date and publisher).

I have come across references to:

A short history of the 49th (West Riding and North Midland) Infantry Division

Cole, Howard

1956 UnPub 10 maps on 7 sheets and 22 page foolscap copy typescript

The History of the West Riding Territorials by Magnus chronicles the 49th and 62nd Divs (there is also an extensive 62nd div history). Magnus provides an extensive listing of awards to units in both divisions, including 245th (1st W R) and 246th (2nd W R) Brigade RFA as well as 247th (3rd W R) Brigade RFA but no roll of honour. It does, usefully, provide regimentally numbers for the decorated men. The work is more focussed on the "Territorials of the West Riding" than specifically the two divisions, though it does major on them. It does not ignore the other units, such as the Yeomanry, where W. R. Territorials made their mark. Haig's foreward is very brief commenting on the value of the territorials and their value in bridging the gap between the regulars who went to France and Flanders in late 1914 and the Kitchener battalions. Haig also notes the brilliant contribution made by the 62nd Div. at Cambrai. There is no index, which can be rather frustrating.

The West Riding Territorials in the Great War

Magnus, Laurie

Lon. Kegan Paul, Trench Trubner & Co 1920 324pp

The History Of The 62nd (West Riding) Division 1914-1919

Wyrall, Everard

2 Vols, John Lane The Bodley Head 1924-1925

Hope this is useful.

Martin

There is no index, which can be rather frustrating.

I spend a lot of time indexing unit histories, war diaries, personal diaries, photograph albums etc, etc to make them a usable resource, it pains me no end on picking up 'the book I've been looking for' and find no flipping index. Oh well, keeps me busy.

Simon,

Are there any useful indexs (indices?) you have created that you might be happy to share - particularly for published volumes?

I am sure a number of Pals would find them of great interest.

Martin

Hi Simon R,

Could not trace any refs to 245th & 246th Brigade in 62nd West Riding Divisional history, only refs to 310th, 311th & 312th Brigades of Artillery.

Also, i can confirm that Leeds Reference library does hold a copy of "The West Riding Territorials in the Great War". Unfortunately, you cannot take it away, but very interesting from the quick look i had. It may be awhile before i have chance to have a good look through, but i will bear the howitzers in mind & let you know any details.

Regards

Chad

Hi Chad,

I had a look at WRTITGW (if you see what I mean) at Leeds Library on Monday, very interesting but a bit worthy, a lot of detail that needs clarifying, corroborating

and investigating further esp. Haldane reforms in this area and Lord Harewoods involvement (esp. in regard to raising of local TF artillery, changes from engineers to artillery, liason with other landed gentry re: land for training, digging practice trenches etc).

The medal index at the back is useful but a little, well not misleading, more perfectly accurate. Because it's listed by unit and artillery brigades underwent several confusing reorganisations during WWI, you can find one man in two or three units - without any indication of a time frame for all this, you could get quite confused. So the listing for 245th brigade RFA looks initially to be full of unknowns until you realise that the list doesn't take into account any of these changes. You could be mistaken in thinking that a man physically left one unit and joined another several times, but this isn't the case - the unit just changed it's name and organisational structure, he didn't get posted to a unit full of people he didn't know.

The brigades you've got from 62nd div. will be the 3rd line 4th WR brigade RFA recruits (obviously) and did contain a lot of blokes from my area but it's a big enough job trying to look after one battery let alone a whole brigade in another division. 62nd may have spent some time in the wharfedale area training, have you any idea about this?

Simon.

Hi Simon,

We must have just missed each other, as i was in the Library last monday between 12 & 1pm. Could not see any mentions from the Divisional history of the 62nd in the Wharedale area. Did you get my e-mail off forum regarding another book i came across in the Library namely " A Saturday Night Soldiers war 1913-18" by Norman Tennant, who was from Ilkley and was a signaller with 11th howitzer Battery?

Regards

Chad

Malcolm,

Could you tell me what the 11th Royal Scots were upto at the time of 3rd Ypres,I'am particularly interested in trying to find a mention in the war diary/regimental history of a 270255 Cpl Donald Campbell who was awarded the MM which was gazzetted in Jan 1918.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Stu.

• 3 months later...

Hello Chad,

is there any chance you could look in your book on the Duke of Wellington's and see if it mentions anything about the 10th Bn, 69th Brigade, 23 Division on the 18th and 19th of October 1917, a soldier i am researching died of wounds on the 19th (enemy shellfire).

I believe that they were involved in the "first battle of Passchendaele", Third Ypres at this time.

Any help would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Peter,

I am sorry, i should have specified that the History of the Duke Of Wellington's Regiment in my possession, only covers the 1st & 2nd Battalions.

Chad

• 3 months later...

Hi Chad,

If you are still offering a look-up for the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, I would be grateful for your help:

I'm trying to find out what happened to the 2nd Duke of Wellington's Regiment, part of the 4th Division between about the 25th April and 9th May 1917.

The reason is that my gt grandfather went through the casualty system on about the 27th April, but I can find no mention of them being in the line at the time. Their war diary states they were in reserve, but the field ambulances relevant to them denote a high quantity of casualties being assessed at the same time.

I wondered if they came under bombardment whilst in reserve, or were on the wrong end of a gas attack?

With thanks

doogal

• 1 month later...

Doogal,

Apologies, i have been away & only just spotted your e-mail.

Unfortunately, no mention of the 2nd Battalion during that period, but a few pages on the 1st Battalion.

Sorry

Chad

I have a copy of The West Riding Territorials in the Great War. It has a listing by unit of all the awards to the 49th and 62nd Divisions in the Great War.

I also have A Record of D 245 Battery, 1914-1919 and War Services of the 62nd Divisional Artillery in the Great War.

I would be happy to look up individual names.

Regards. Dick Flory

Simon wrote:

Is your copy of D245 signed? Any indications as to who it belonged to?

Simon: It is not signed. It is ex-library. Regards. Dick

In case anyone needs any assistance I have:

"The History of The Queen's Royal (West Surrey) Regiment in the Great War" by Wylly

"The Seventh Division: 1914-1918" by Atkinson

and "Croydon and the Great War" by Moore (not a Regt. or Div. history per se, but does mention many men from Croydon who served).