Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Company 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

Pallionite

My grandfather, Thomas Clark 13558 was with the above regiment at Gallipoli. I have a postcard /birthday card addressed to him as being in A Company although I have no way of knowing if he remained in that Company. The card ( wishing him a safe return ) was dated October 1915 and I would presume that the Regiment was in Gallipoli at the time. I have a War Office notice of January 1916 stating that he was at a War Hospital in London suffering from a severe wound.

Could anyone enlighten me as to any specific actions that this particular company was involved in at Gallipoli. I do know that they were at Suvla.

Thanks

Bill1946

welcome to the forum

the 6th Btn was in Gallipoli from 7 August 1915 and where a Pioneer Btn

Next was Mudros then Egypt

Bill,

Welcome to the forum,

I cannot find anyone in the EYR with that number, I have a Thomas Clark 10558 who was in the 6th EYR the number suggests he was from Hull or the surrounding area? The battalion was a Pioneer Battalion but on arrival at Suvla was forward fighting and made an assault on Tekke Tepe. I have the war diary so will have a look to see if he is mentioned.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles

I have various original documents which have him as 13558 in the 6th Btn EYR and then the 8th Btn Eyr. He finished up in the 20th Northumberland Fusiliers as 38612. I was told that he joined up with two friends from Sunderland who were both killed. They were Patrick Walsh 16821 6th Btn EYR who died at Gallipoli 23 Nov.1915 and Patrick Joyce 13534 7th Btn EYR who died in France 14 Feb.1917. I would imagine that they all joined up in Sunderland or somewhere close by in the North East.

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill,

Its my typo, its also wrong on the National Archive;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

This must be Thomas as his NF number is right. The group 135.. joined from Sunderland, I have Patrick Walsh training at the depot in Beverley East Yorks and joining the 9th Battalion 05/02/1915. I have nothing for Thomas at the moment but will have a look for him.

Regards Charles

• 11 years later...

Hi everyone,Only just joined this forum and I do note many years have passed since this discussion.Anyway I have only just in these last few days found my Grandmothers Brother was I believe in the 6th Battalion East Yorkshire in the Great War .He was Private 11467 Robert Michael Fox and was from Hull ,Is there any more details out there .I again believe he was killed in the Dardanelles ? Cheers Liam 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Liam Dealtry said:

Hi everyone,Only just joined this forum and I do note many years have passed since this discussion.Anyway I have only just in these last few days found my Grandmothers Brother was I believe in the 6th Battalion East Yorkshire in the Great War .He was Private 11467 Robert Michael Fox and was from Hull ,Is there any more details out there .I again believe he was killed in the Dardanelles ? Cheers Liam 

Welcome to the forum 

He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/693162/fox,-robert-michael/

Service number 11467, born and enlisted in Hull.

He was killed in action 

Suggest you have a look at the parent site the Long Long Trail (link top right) where there is information and tips for researching a soldier.

The war diary which is available on Ancestry if you subscribe or can be viewed at TNA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557451

The diary has a detailed account the action in which he was killed though as is usual other ranks are not identified by name.

Although CWGC shows 8th August the action took place over two days.

Ken

Liam,

Ray Westlake's excellent book 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' (pub., by Leo Cooper, 1996. ISBN 0 85052 511 X) has the following details regarding this battalion and action,

his research taken from War Diaries, unit histories etc etc.

659951632_6thEastYorksGallipoliAug1915.jpg.bef3be00a95e9f32e02627d4061ca039.jpg580053255_6thEastYorksGallipoliAug1915p.2.thumb.jpg.2baf7102fa1ab6ad976dfdfd3726d630.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 10:03 PM, kenf48 said:

Welcome to the forum 

He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/693162/fox,-robert-michael/

Service number 11467, born and enlisted in Hull.

He was killed in action 

Suggest you have a look at the parent site the Long Long Trail (link top right) where there is information and tips for researching a soldier.

The war diary which is available on Ancestry if you subscribe or can be viewed at TNA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557451

The diary has a detailed account the action in which he was killed though as is usual other ranks are not identified by name.

Although CWGC shows 8th August the action took place over two days.

Ken